making a scratch built combine header, making tines

Tractorman810

Question

well after a request from ben and jez, and knowing a few other people are looking at making a combine or improving their current britains or siku one i went and did a few pics tonight,

first up you wont need many tools, just 1 set of snips, 1 or 2 sets of pliers, depending on how strong you feel, a vice and a small bit of rod or screwdriver , i use a instrument screwdriver ,as it suits the size of the hole i need to have in the tines

step one find some nice thin bendy wire, i personaly use .4mm thick copper telephone wire from work, just remove the insulation and your ready to go

001.jpg

002.jpg

place your rod or screwdriver in a vice so its gripped nice and firm, then loosley wrap the wire round it once or twice depending on how many rings you need(twice for  mine in this case)

003.jpg

005.jpg

then pull tight with either both sets of pliers, one on each side, or just hold with one hand and pull with the other whichh i do, having the screwdriver in a vice makes this part so much easier

010.jpg

006.jpg

22 answers to this question

repeat this process as many times as you need, bearing in mind if your like me then you have another  153 of these to go, as i only made 10 for this topic :D :D :D :D :D :D

008.jpg

011.jpg

next step is to work out how many you need to each section of reel, in my case 9, so make a spacer with marked notches on, place against the reel and mark with a pencil or similar

012.jpg

014.jpg

i personaly now find it easier to use a bit of .5mm thin brass rod and burn a small starter hole in place, as each rod is 1.5mm thick and round, keeping a small .5mm dril on in place without busting the rod is very difficult

015.jpg

016.jpg

once burnt, i then drill out each hole using a hand drill with .5mm thick drill, you can use a drill, but the extra weight can lead to the main bar being snapped

017.jpg

once drilled out, place each tine in position, then in turn with a bit of rod drop a small amout of super glue in place, remembering to hold each one straight, as they will turn under the weight,this is where leaving the tines long each end makes it so much easier, you can hold them with tweezers or your fingers easy enough, no fiddly small bits to deal with

this is where using copper compaired to brass helps no end, as you tend to drill the holes out from the easiest angle, in my case straight in from the front,as the coppers so thin and bends easy you can dog leg the bit through the main bar, so putting the tines facing downwards,

018.jpg

019.jpg

once dry trim each one down, removing the excess on the back, and the lenght of the fronts as required,job done

020.jpg

022.jpg

hope this helps out a few people, as i said in the earlier post i have another 153 of these to make, without any i drop, which will happen  :D :D :D :D :D , so dont expect it finished to soon

once painted you wont be able to see the fine gaps between each tines ring section, not had a problem with paint on copper, primer deals with that easy enough, seeing as they are short despite the copper being soft and bendy normally, you will have a job to bend them unless your really rough with them, you prob stand more chance of some falling out if the glue doesnt run between the rod and copper ,but 99% of the time the paint once on will hold them in palce to anyway

as i said, hope this helps out a few people , any questions just fire away lads

because the rod your drilling into is only 1.5mm thick, and round, trying to hold a hand or power drill in place and getting the hole centered is hellish difficult,i found this out doing the 625 reel , so by burning a starter hole ,i find its easier to then drill out the main hole,its almost like making a punch hole/mark in metal before drilling  i guess you could melt the hole right through, dont see why it wouldnt work, ,i just find it easier to drill for some reason

as for the iron, do they make small .5mm thin tips for them?? only one i have is a lot bigger and would prob just melt the rod in one easy go, henc why i use brass rod, same size as the drill i use, so wont oversize one side, and its thinner than the main rod