Britains Reproduction Boxes

AndyB

I know they come from different sources, but what is everyones' opinion on these?  Are there any that are better quality than others and where from?  How close are they to the originals, etc. etc.  Anything really.......

thanks, Andy

• 10 months later...

Too many repro boxes are being sold as genuine when the models are sold.  In some cases it is obvious and/or the sellar states it is a repro,  but in others not and as having a box generally adds value (as much as 70%). I am very wary as I am really not into buying boxes

I agree with Leakyvale here.  Reproduction boxes are fine if they are clearly marked as such, and can provide an economic way of either filling gaps in your box type collection, or providing a mint condition, unboxed model with the protection it deserves.

However, original boxes now add a significant amount to the value of many models, and if the repro boxes are good and not marked, collectors will unwittingly be conned by them in the future, and the genuine ones may become devalued as a result.  Anyone selling good quality repro boxes, which are very close to the originals in card thickness and quality and print quality and which are not marked as repro, should be regarded as potentially fraudulent, and those selling them should be actively discouraged. 

Any reproduction box that is not marked as such somewhere on the box is a Fake, simple as.

Anyone selling good quality repro boxes, which are very close to the originals in card thickness and quality and print quality and which are not marked as repro, should be regarded as potentially fraudulent, and those selling them should be actively discouraged. 

Any reproduction box that is not marked as such somewhere on the box is a Fake, simple as.

Hear, hear.  I couldn't agree more.  When a model with a box is worth twice (or more) than without we have a serious problem with the repro boxes being passed as genuine.  It is fraud especially if the box has been aged which is not that difficult to do.

In my opinion repro boxes are perfectly ok if you want to protect a model for your own collection and are not that difficult to create with a decent photo copier and correct type and thickness of card. The only difficulty in doing them is the size. Most copiers will only take A4 so you have to create some in sections unless you take it to a printers that have larger commercial copiers. As regards to people producing and selling them commercially then I agree that they should be stated as copies or reproductions as there are copright laws that apply if they are copied as exact to the original. The value of these boxes are only in the cost of the materials, card, ink and cellophane and add no value whatever to the model but it's up to the individual to buy or not to buy.

I think if they are marked on ebay as repro

is fine but someone trying to make a quick buck and devalueing

the genuine ones is very wrong

there are people out there making good repro but maybee

a small mark  on the box front top and side as a repro

and almost as important on the inlay card just to not mis-lead customers

and to be that bit more distinguishable to the genuine ones

ive had them in the past and ive known that they are what they say they are "repro" and im happy to put some of my old stuff in them as im not going to sell

them on and they are for my enjoyment only

What boxes are you looking for? I have some templates I've done for some older stuff but mostly smaller things like the early tractor roller, Vicon acrobat turner, walls, gate and sign, duck-egg tipping traler with lades box, Vicon fertaliser spreader, 3-furrow plough, early cultivator/scuffle and a few others that escape memory for the moment. That's just Britains stuff, I've also done some templates for some Corgi, Dinky and Matchbox farm stuff as well.

this is great - many thanks for all the help powerrabbit and tractorman314.  I will check at the weekend what boxes I need and will let you know.

I hope to upload some pictures too of my collection over the weekend

Do the boxes contain the plastic inserts or is it just the cardboard outer piece??

Sorry about all the questions but I have never seen or heard of these before!