front mounted flail arm

sparrow legs

i was told its a standard 5m machine with a heavey duty head reversed on a beefed up frame, not that different you may say BUT there are no pipes/cables going to the cab to operate it :o

to save money bomford have piped the rams into the tractor spools (electric ones) and so you dont need extra controls and electro valves ;)

myself i think there is far too much weight out over the front axle and the back r/h wheel will lift and steering will be uncontrolable in the wet and in ruts :-\ would be nice to see it operating, its a design farmstar had asked bomford to make and they are evaluating it over the next year

yes it had breakback jez

rich, it was sat too far forward to see properly, it would be as bad as been on the back except it would save you twisting ya back ;)

sean, he said nothing about using the tractor spools on the rear mounted ones but i guess that will be in the pipeline as it will make a machine much cheeper, just need to have a tractor with electric spools small enough for hedge cutting

there were some huge red trailers there jason, never looked close at them, they must have been 16/18 ton plus

Did it have a break back mike?

I know mcconnel made one, not sure they would sell but not that hard or costly to make mind. A small investment i guess..

::) Always with the break back, Broke Back...  ::):D :D

I quoted some work for Bomford a couple of years ago, new reception at Evesham, real weird company... were smarting a bit when I met them from being swallowed up by Alamo and becoming the 'not quite as good an option as a McConnel' from the same firm... kind of like Skoda to VW.... Anyway, I digress....

Would like to have a play on one of those Mike, be nice to be able to look forwards for a change after a days trimming

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/unimog/home/events/Press_Releases/profile_wiltshire.html

Also available with flail head. I think Wiltshire CC have four or five of these Unimogs now (Sometimes one at Somerset Classic Tractor Show). Surely a tractor with front trimmer would be better with the hydraulics pack on the back end and just the arm up front  ???

• 2 weeks later...

wonder if they will control the normal rear ones that way soon then, have to agree about weight on front mind, our old bomford was on the 690 or 699 and that pulled  the front up, and it was prob half the size of that

front mounted definitely way to go  i have done many miles with front mounted flail on u1650 unimog, makes a tiring job much easier