Snapping Shares on plough???

MODELFARMER

Hi guys,

recently on our KV 4 furrow plough shes been snapping the shares alot, right across the last bolt hole at the front, i wondered if it was because the plough sits on the points on the floor of the shed then this is the levering point but then, its never done it before only this season and last winter season for winter crops, anybody incounter this before?

i go get a picture now

are 1 of the  bolts coming loose and then puting strain on the  last bolt and the share  thus the share snaping?????

not in a field with a lot of stones are you ?

is the  ground still froze deep down?

not froze, stones??

You think i bought a stone fork last year for the good of my health?? bloody hell we have good ground only drawback is the flippin stones! well yea i did buy it for the good of my health actually ha ha!!

cant see it being down to storage on the concrete floor mate, our dowdswell was always kept on the floor in a small barn, never had that problem, wonder if its like  mx said, and the top bolts coming loose and allowing the shares to swing so taking the preassure on the tip hence breaking it

you havnt got the shares set at the wrong angle have you??? got something wrong at the setup ?? that could be something to look at, have you replaced anything before this started that might have thrown that out?

nope 4mph ploughing the plough is only a 2005 model shes only ploughed 150 acres a year!!!

Me da knows how to set a plough thats for sure she is set right

wasnt saying he didnt mate, cant really think of anything else that would keep making it do the same thing over and over otherwise, doesn't need to be much out to make something happen, even if it looks right, really can't see it being a storage issue, see loads just sat on concrete pads, and they all work ok,

How worn are the shares Ricky and is it only the side of the plough that sits on the floor when in the shed thats affected? Setting a plough directly onto concrete is never a good idea, always better to put a block of wood beneath the share to keep the point of the ground as it certainly will cause some form of damage or stress in that area if not

Sounds to me like poor quality shares. Obviously a weakness in the casting or if they are steel, poor quality metal. If they're not worn very much, march them back to your supplier and demand better new ones, I expext they're pretty pricey, cast 12 inch general purpose shares for my 1968 David Brown plough are now £38 each.

well looking at your pic the standing on the concrete floor cant be it as  looks like the weight is carried by the  point and the frog so  i dont think thats why the  share is breaking

but got me beat  were these new  not long ago ?

is it the same ones braking over  and over?

well looking at your pic the standing on the concrete floor cant be it as  looks like the weight is carried by the  point and the frog so  i dont think thats why the  share is breaking

but got me beat   were these new  not long ago ?

is it the same ones braking over  and over?

But the point is bolted to the share it is the only point of contact to the ground on each furrow

I show in picture the circle and the line is where the share shears through the bolt hole everytime

22022009008-1.jpg

In your circle though whats the  green bit  Isnt that the frog?

Its not touching the ground, its part of the share,

try what gav said mate, could be a combination of that and what tim said??? stressing the shares?? fit some new ones then see what happens

I've fitted about a dozen new ones in the past year  :'(

Can you not try the other type of share with the reversible points on that plough Ricky? Is there any sign of a flaw in the shares along the line of the break? I would definately put a block of wood under them though before sitting it on the concretethat point has a lot of leverage on the share with how far it sticks out, certainly worth a try. I've only ever had one share break in the thousands of acres I've ploughed and that was due to a rock but have always set mine on a long piece of wood going under the share and landside on a couple of the bodies