Sowing at Sunnyside Farm, Drumoak. 12th March 2009

BC

Well I was about 1/4 a mile from home on my way home from work last night and I spotted the first farmer sowing in the area so I had to stop and have a look. When the chap turned at the endrig he came out and had a chat. He had only started sowing that day for his father who rents the land and was saying that he does a fair bit of contract sowing. He said given how things had dried up over the past few days his phone hadn't stopped ringing and folk were looking for his services ;) ;)

Misc13032009001.jpg

Misc13032009002.jpg

Misc13032009003.jpg

Misc13032009004.jpg

Misc13032009005.jpg

Yes it certainly is nice to see Spring is on its way Peter. The fields he was sowing were only plouged last week end and they were fairly dry. Mind you the fields are on a south facing "Sunnyside" so I suppose that helps ;) ;)

Yes it certainly is nice to see Spring is on its way Peter. The fields he was sowing were only plouged last week end and they were fairly dry. Mind you the fields are on a south facing "Sunnyside" so I suppose that helps ;) ;)

Cant wait until it's here as well,we still have snow around here mate  :-\ :-\

Yes David that deere is quite a beast. I tried to caputure photos of him last year when he was baling with it and a large square baler but the speed he was baling at made taking shots difficult.

Yes David that deere is quite a beast. I tried to caputure photos of him last year when he was baling with it and a large square baler but the speed he was baling at made taking shots difficult.

I know what you mean about baling photographs Bill, whilst at Festival of the Plough last year, I noticed a farmer using a John Deere 6920 and a big Claas Quadrant baler in the next field over from the working day, couldn't resist but have a nosey, and he was travelling rather quickly across the field, out of the 50 I took about a 10th of them came out ok.  :D

I know what you mean about baling photographs Bill, whilst at Festival of the Plough last year, I noticed a farmer using a John Deere 6920 and a big Claas Quadrant baler in the next field over from the working day, couldn't resist but have a nosey, and he was travelling rather quickly across the field, out of the 50 I took about a 10th of them came out ok.  :D

Here was the same Deere with the baler from last year David.

3182008200.jpg

Very nice gear there bill very similar set up to what Rennies at Turriff have with the JD and Accord drill/ front tank set up.

I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more of similar outfits working away in the North East area over the next few weeks if the weather keeps up like this Rob.

Having said its nice to see big new tackle I think it is also nice to see farmers using older conventional machinery too. I must try and catch another local farmer from the Milton of Drum. He still uses a 1976 / 1977 R reg Clayson combine and I'm fairly sure he still uses an older Massey Ferguson Seed drill behind a newer New Holland tractor. He is a fine chap to speak to but one of those farmers who is a bit old fashioned yet he likes to be first at sowing and harvesting etc in the area. I did notice some of his fields on the main road had not been broken in yet but when I see that has been done  I must go searching for the sowing with the MF seed drill.

Now that does look smart pulling the big "Fergy" baler, thanks for posting that one Bill. I have some pictures some where of an older John Deere 4255 and MF 185 big square baler I found on a farm in East Yorkshire about 6 years ago, i'll have a dig around for them. :)

I remember with the older SLR camera's you could pan or follow round a moving object and still get a decent shot. I remember doing this with the wall of death at the Great Dorset Steam Fair many many years ago. We were talking with a photographer and he told us to do that and it did actually work. You can't really follow round with these digi things though can you  ??? ???

Now that does look smart pulling the big "Fergy" baler, thanks for posting that one Bill. I have some pictures some where of an older John Deere 4255 and MF 185 big square baler I found on a farm in East Yorkshire about 6 years ago, i'll have a dig around for them. :)

Well I'm not really a Fergie fan so I don't really associate the word smart with Fergie's David ;) ;)

Post away yours though David i will still look at them ;) ;)

I noticed that there was some nice big outfits around your way the other day Bill. Saw a New Holland and 6 furrow plough in a field next to the garlogie turn off on the westhill to Dunecht road think it is one of Nicols tractors but Iam sure you will know who's it is ;)

It could have been Nicol's o Skene farming division Rob but their farms are at Westside and Ord which are just off the Cairnie roundabout heading on the road toward Peterculter.

If not them then most likely would have been Dunecht Estates or Sinclair contractors from Sauchen doing contract work.

Yes that John Deere was a fair beast painter. He said it had been chipped too ;) ;)

Bing Bong, Sorry sir your warranty is No More.......

Nice pics BC. Good to see the green machine. Very nice drilling set up also. Would be my choice, power harrow and front tank.  ;)

Bing Bong, Sorry sir your warranty is No More.......

Nice pics BC. Good to see the green machine. Very nice drilling set up also. Would be my choice, power harrow and front tank.  ;)

Oh I never thought about that Jez.

I remember with the older SLR camera's you could pan or follow round a moving object and still get a decent shot. I remember doing this with the wall of death at the Great Dorset Steam Fair many many years ago. We were talking with a photographer and he told us to do that and it did actually work. You can't really follow round with these digi things though can you  ??? ???

I've tried panning or following objects travelling quickly such as rally cars or a tractor and trailer on the road with the little digital one I use, and find it quite difficult to get a really sharp shot, maybe i'm doing something wrong or don't fully understand my camera?

The machinery i've been taking photographs of recently I tend not to pan round at all, i'll just set myself up at the angle and height I want to take them at, zoom right out and the drag the zoom back in as the machine gets closer when i've decided how much of the equipment I want filling the frame. That method seems to be working ok at the moment, quite pleased with some of my recent efforts, still a lot to learn though.

Well I'm not really a Fergie fan so I don't really associate the word smart with Fergie's David ;) ;)

Post away yours though David i will still look at them ;) ;)

Fergie baler is a badge engineering job from Hesston / New Holland as far as i'm aware Bill  ;)

I will do, need to find them first though, i've more than a few wallets to search through, should keep me occupied whilst i'm sat at home this afternoon :)