JPM 14 tonne Dumper Trailer Review........

NewHolland2

Well as you know my boss has recently purchased two 14 tonne JPM dumper trailers from JPM Engineering in Northern Ireland. We got one of them yoked today for its first job so thought I'd do a bit of a review of it's performance on its first job and list some of the plusses and minusses we think they have........ :)

The trailers are well built sturdy looking beasties with a good paint job and can be specified in whatever colour the purchaser wants I believe - obviously we went for the Massey red option to fit with the 6480........

Our trailers came with 8 stub Agri wheels with the Unladen weight of the trailer being 4000kg, with a Maximum laded weight of 18000kg as per the serial plate.

It comes with hydrualic brakes as standard but air brakes are optional.

The oil pipes for the double acting hydrualic rear door, the tipping ram, the brake pipe and electrical cable are all wrapped within a protective sleave.

We specified for loops to be welded onto the trailer for the attaching of a cover 

A couple of small niggles we have - there is no beacon fitted as standard and no socket for a magnetic one to be plugged in, although I'm not sure if this could be fitted if specified........ :-\

Also it's not the most user friendly trailer to climb into to level off your load - ok for a nimble bu**er like me to jump up the wheel and then the mud guards  :D but I think older operators would benefit from a wee ladder at the front........

Lastly the shoe fitted doesn't seem to let the trailer sit high enough without an extra clog underneath as we had difficulty getting the 6480's hook from underneath it at first, when dropping it off........

All in all though we were pleased with its first outing, and are quite satisfied they'll do a great turn for us. A sturdy built trailer that should handle a fair bit of rubble, earth etc.

The boss drove it home today but he said the 6480 handled a loaded one with relative ease.

Now I believe the price for the two was around £13800 mark.  :)

Some pictures

JPM14tDumper22509.jpg

JPMDumperRear22509.jpg

JPMDumperSide22509.jpg

JPMDumper22509-1.jpg

Any questions fire away and any pictures can be taken on request........ ;)

Going by your comments a kane would have most of that sorted out, 14ton model weighing at 4 ton, hmmm not bad but i worry would it stick big lumps of rock? the kane 15ton models have adjustable feet, plently of room for yer hook to get below, also foot is removable and a wee place to hang it below body beside chassis when in deep tracks in mud etc . . .

I'm making a ladder for ours when i get the new wire feed motor for me welder.

what you want a beacon on it for? you not run beacons on yer tractor for abnormal loads?

just wire one into your tail lights

with the agri wheels would she take a tractor with a 50k box and whats the welding like on it ive seen dump trailers and they seem to crack a fair bit

Aye she takes the 6480 at 50k no bother........ :)

Nice trailer Mart.. Wouldn't mind a picture of her tipped up if you could too see what shes like underneath  :);)

Will see what I can do next time we're using them mate........ :)

Going by your comments a kane would have most of that sorted out, 14ton model weighing at 4 ton, hmmm not bad but i worry would it stick big lumps of rock? the kane 15ton models have adjustable feet, plently of room for yer hook to get below, also foot is removable and a wee place to hang it below body beside chassis when in deep tracks in mud etc . . .

I'm making a ladder for ours when i get the new wire feed motor for me welder.

what you want a beacon on it for? you not run beacons on yer tractor for abnormal loads?

just wire one into your tail lights

I think we probably will just wire one in, always operate beacons on all of our trailers these days, just something the boss prefers to do........ ;)

a couple of nice purchases  ;)

Cheers mate........ :)

Great review Mart... many thanks...

Now... as above.. can we see some of it tipped please mate - and the tailgate up and down too...

I put a Massey Beacon on my Bailey... as Rickaaaay said... wire it in to your sidelights - most useful when driving the local dual carriageway - 3 is better than 2 in my opinion...

Also... 50k - don't you need air brakes over 40k mate ???

Not so keen on the foot... and how is the pipe stowage on the trailer - have they provided sockets for the tipping and brake pipe when not in use ???

Can we see the towing eye please too.. seems pretty small to me ???

Great review Mart... many thanks...

Now... as above.. can we see some of it tipped please mate - and the tailgate up and down too...

I put a Massey Beacon on my Bailey... as Rickaaaay said... wire it in to your sidelights - most useful when driving the local dual carriageway - 3 is better than 2 in my opinion...

Also... 50k - don't you need air brakes over 40k mate ???

Not so keen on the foot... and how is the pipe stowage on the trailer - have they provided sockets for the tipping and brake pipe when not in use ???

Can we see the towing eye please too.. seems pretty small to me ???

No problem Marky, will get those pics the next time we're using it  :)

Pretty sure the towing eye is the normal size though mate, but will get pics for you

No sockets provided for the pipes when not in use but they seem to sit well on the drawbar in their protective sleeve  ;)

Mart they look good enough mate. If they earn the money then higher spec can be ordered next time or even a change of brand. No light guards was a surprise to me I have to say.

Indeed Tris, they'll certainly do a turn I'm sure........ ;)

looks like a good tipper mate  instead of a beacons on the back mart try flashing leds mate?????????????

no blown blubs every load and trip out due to vibrations  ;) ;)

me mates moveing to leds on his trailers saves money in the long run

looks like a good tipper mate  instead of a beacons on the back mart try flashing leds mate?????????????

no blown blubs every load and trip out due to vibrations  ;) ;)

me mates moveing to leds on his trailers saves money in the long run

That's a good idea actually Steve, will suggest it to the boss........ :)

Now dont start the 50k bit Marky only supposed to do 32k ;):D :D only joking mate as I always drive 50k in deere stops holding traffic up but like you for behind 50k hydraulic brakes having had 14t on my old 818 with hydraulics then using air the difference is amazing!  And I wouldnt want to really be without air on 50k,

But brilliant review mart though and agree with you on third beacon as cant always see 2 on tractor when loaded etc but had beacons on dickie westerns and never had any troubles with bulbs well ok once every few months but that was on silage trailer that was used from May till end November constantly.

Surprised to see a solid shoe and can see that being either cracked off or worn alot as dump trailers are often used in undesirable conditions and tracks

saw one of these down the cornwall show today, never seen them till you posted mart, then they appear down our way, new to vincent tractors apparently

I'd never heard of them either until the boss said he'd bought them Sean........Seeing a few more in classified ads etc now though........ :) :)

Looks nice Mart but I agree with Tris, No light guards? When you hire them out I can see you replacing light lenses all the time. Also those reflectors won't last 2 mins when tipping out big piles of rubble. Just make sure you re-tighten the wheel nuts at the stated interval! And to be truley honest I think the beacon idea is silly, you can see the 2 on the tractor easy enough, it'snmot like the dump trailer is wider than the road or anything, I personally wouldn't bother and save a bit of money.

But on the plus side Mart that's a reasonably good price for a 14 tonner, and it does look well built. I think after another 6 months of use an update should be done  :)