Marky's new tractor shed and barn - some ideas please !

Lord Ferguson

Question

Good morning chaps... Have been busy in the workshop making a new barn and tractor shed for my upcoming loft farm.  Will start on the tractor shed first.... Would like suggestions on how to age the thing - what colour to paint the cladding as I'm not happy with the green - What colour to do the yard (and what to do with the yard really)... any other suggestions on how to NOT make it look like some prat's made it out of plastic parts (which it currently does) - Criticism I can take in any dose so I won't be offended in any way - this is only my second attempt at barn building and I'm keen to learn from you masters on here...

Have routed the sides to fit into the base about 2mm to help with construction..

C:\Documents and Settings\Mark_2\My Documents\Mark

• Answers 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

And on to the barn... I plan to do half-height bricks (if they ever turn up from 4D) on all sides and cladding to the roof and upper sides (if that makes sense).. problems are... Cladding is a bit flimsy - should I mount it on board like I have the Tractor shed or is there another way of fixing to get a firm mount.  I don't really want to add anymore purlings or RSJ's as I think I have enough for the framework.  What colour again.. and what to do with the area around it again... and age again... Oh and a Sliding door - would a barn like this have one or two doors  ???

C:\Documents and Settings\Mark_2\My Documents\Mark

looking good mark,i have done one of mine in a light grey clouor which looks great actually,airfix light battleship i think it was,with the yard i have glues a medium grey oo gauge ballsat over the boards,looks like a concrete effect,but difficult to photo due to the size,just fixes down with pva glue

Thanks TM810 - I hadn't thought of grey - that sounds great - Would you paint the baseboard first (the man in the model shop suggested that if your laying grass - similar principle I suppose)

Any ideas about a door/doors - I have routed a runner into the base ready if it needs one ???

didn't paint mine,just waped a good amount of glue over it,then sprinkled it over,did roll it with a old thick carboard tube just to pack it in,then left it for an hour ,just brushed it off after,the grey i used was nearly like the atcost barns of old,if you look in the farm pics i posted(temp layout ) the yorkshire clad barn is done in it,

doors are  easy enough,if i get a chance i will make a small demo bit up how i do mine and post it with bens stuff