thinking of buying a pasture topper..advice?

intey 434

have you thought of a kuhn foldup disc topper great for stoney and hilly ground like ours because it kicks back if it hits a fence post or large rock plus the knives are fast enough to change when they get bent and thats fairly often we use two at least in some of our rougher fields when cattle have been in them they knock them out of ditches but some other makes have quick release knives which would be a lot easier but not as safe if its used for mowing but for topping its safe enough because its not running as fast the newer ones also have a guard on the edge of the curtain so it does get ripped like the old ones. they can also be used to cut silage aswell as long as the disc is in place which is handy for  bit of second cut in stead of having to get the mower out again but it doesnt have a conditioner my uncle had a semi offset topper not sure wwhat brand didnt give any trouble but it didnt cut where the tractor had traveled over so he went for a kuhn one. hope this helps  ;)

have you thought of a kuhn foldup disc topper great for stoney and hilly ground like ours because it kicks back if it hits a fence post or large rock plus the knives are fast enough to change when they get bent and thats fairly often we use two at least in some of our rougher fields when cattle have been in them they knock them out of ditches but some other makes have quick release knives which would be a lot easier but not as safe if its used for mowing but for topping its safe enough because its not running as fast the newer ones also have a guard on the edge of the curtain so it does get ripped like the old ones. they can also be used to cut silage aswell as long as the disc is in place which is handy for  bit of second cut in stead of having to get the mower out again but it doesnt have a conditioner my uncle had a semi offset topper not sure wwhat brand didnt give any trouble but it didnt cut where the tractor had traveled over so he went for a kuhn one. hope this helps  ;)

yea denis, i was thinking about a fold round pz, 800quid new, not too bad but i am told they are more suited for mowing and not topping as they cut too low...

i still think they would be ok though

• 3 weeks later...

i have also a fully offset topper to purchase as well ,trailed or mounted does not matter just i want to buy a good one when i'm at it cost not really important,have a fully offset Abbey for the past 15+ years done the job and still wil until it gets replaced also a post driver and a rotary spreader to get hold of too any help appriecated

i have also a fully offset topper to purchase as well ,trailed or mounted does not matter just i want to buy a good one when i'm at it cost not really important,have a fully offset Abbey for the past 15+ years done the job and still wil until it gets replaced also a post driver and a rotary spreader to get hold of too any help appriecated

alexander mills is hiring out spreaders stephen supposedly keen rates :-\

alexander mills is hiring out spreaders stephen supposedly keen rates :-\

hi he is a bit far away from me berry i,ll be buying one

Well i can only advise you on my experience and i definitely would not buy a trailed topper  ;)

hi Blake can you explain or give details for a trailed one is high on the list r me all i have learned is you run it on the wheels and not the skids  ;)

Well the main problem is that the one i use, the wheels have a tendency to fall off  :-\ .... If the ground is slipy and your on a hill it won't sit out correctly and will slide etc.. The PTO shafts have broke a few times (not really sure if thats the toppers fault tho :-\) and the Hyd pipes getting caught and then breaking  :-\ :-\

In my opinion a mounted one would be better as you dont have wheels to fall off, she wont slide and get on, Shafts shouldn't be a problem either and the pipes wont get caught as easily  :-\

never actually used on personally, but i know most round this way are majors, and not offsets either, seem to prefer 3 point mounters, mind you that may be down to the steepness of hills we hav, saw a zetor with one a few weeks back and when he got to the top of the hill and went onto the flat ish top didnt need to lift the 3 point, the angle was that steep

ive only experienced 3 toppers,

side mounted green one, think it was a major rubbish you'd be better with a fly mow  :D

a fleming 9ft mounted, skids dig up the ground and dosnt spread the grass that well, plus my uncle hit a stone and it split the cog in the gear box  :-\

thirdly mcconnel topper 9, heavy, well built and cuts perfect, plus she'll split stones in half and not the cogs  ;D

Well the main problem is that the one i use, the wheels have a tendency to fall off  :-\ .... If the ground is slipy and your on a hill it won't sit out correctly and will slide etc.. The PTO shafts have broke a few times (not really sure if thats the toppers fault tho :-\) and the Hyd pipes getting caught and then breaking  :-\ :-\

In my opinion a mounted one would be better as you dont have wheels to fall off, she wont slide and get on, Shafts shouldn't be a problem either and the pipes wont get caught as easily  :-\

never actually used on personally, but i know most round this way are majors, and not offsets either, seem to prefer 3 point mounters, mind you that may be down to the steepness of hills we hav, saw a zetor with one a few weeks back and when he got to the top of the hill and went onto the flat ish top didnt need to lift the 3 point, the angle was that steep

that does not sound good then i wonder was your tyre pressure too high or the sliding part i only have 2 months to get this all sorted automatic scrappers to get installed as well,thans Sean but the fully offset one is all i'm allowed to buy  ;)

ive only experienced 3 toppers,

side mounted green one, think it was a major rubbish you'd be better with a fly mow  :D

a fleming 9ft mounted, skids dig up the ground and dosnt spread the grass that well, plus my uncle hit a stone and it split the cog in the gear box  :-\

thirdly mcconnel topper 9, heavy, well built and cuts perfect, plus she'll split stones in half and not the cogs  ;D

i have heard form a few sources that mcconnel are the best on the market davy

yes lads your right, mcconnel do not do side mounted :-\

does anyone know what an lsm or belmac topper is like ??? i have priced round for side mounted (not trailed) and they are selling for about 1700 ??? come to the thought that an 8ft side mounted mower would be as good as any as it will top and mow 8) looking into it...

yes lads your right, mcconnel do not do side mounted :-\

does anyone know what an lsm or belmac topper is like ??? i have priced round for side mounted (not trailed) and they are selling for about 1700 ??? come to the thought that an 8ft side mounted mower would be as good as any as it will top and mow 8) looking into it...

8ft LSM is €3450 a month ago ;)