thinking of buying a pasture topper..advice?

intey 434

Think about the gates you'll be going through and buy a topper that will go through them  ;) ;)

wouldnt worry about gates, theres a good digger sitting here that'll soon widen them! :D

i was eyeing up an abbey fullyoffset, seems ok :-\ a mate has an abbey but its not fully offset, not the best of jobs :-\

wouldnt worry about gates, theres a good digger sitting here that'll soon widen them! :D

i was eyeing up an abbey fullyoffset, seems ok :-\ a mate has an abbey but its not fully offset, not the best of jobs :-\

Up here some gates we need to bounce the topper of the gatepost to get her swung in  :D :D :D

Up here some gates we need to bounce the topper of the gatepost to get her swung in  :D :D :D

thats good for it! :D :D  this carry on with small gates is no good, any gate now should at least be 12ft or 14ft, try telling some of the oul boy's that! still used to the 8t single axel trailers :D :D

we bought a wylie fully offset 2 summers ago does the job well doesnt like hitting stones but 185 quid every time for a gear box :D

havent seen any wylie about here, what sort of money would she be..if you dont mind me asking?

Looking ourselves at the minute also - or were looking.

Fully offset is the only job or else an old disc mower.

Will struggle to get anything decent under €1500 - new Abbey 7ft fully offset is €2700 ;)

thanks lads ;)

@nashmach- ay abbey and major seem the most common round this area so i am keen for those :-\

the farm i work at run an abbey she does not like dockans or rashes :D :D some blades we go through gear box holds up well though

As per Tris... no presonal experience... my mates got a Major... semi off-set... been flogged within an inch of it's life and it's still breathing if you know what I mean...

Will cut pretty much anything as well - I reckon if you can climb over it.. it will cut it (well.. within reason... lets not be silly)  :D :D

8ft fully offset Major last year was €4400 :o

quite a lot i see but they do get the best name!

how about a mcconnell davy???

havent got much experience with mcconnell, not that popular around here! good machine?

As per Tris... no presonal experience... my mates got a Major... semi off-set... been flogged within an inch of it's life and it's still breathing if you know what I mean...

Will cut pretty much anything as well - I reckon if you can climb over it.. it will cut it (well.. within reason... lets not be silly)  :D :D

yea i follow you :D yea i topped for a neighbour once with his olld major, semi offset, she would cut all! she took heavy spots of bullrushes the best, unlike other makes! :D

quite a lot i see but they do get the best name!

havent got much experience with mcconnell, not that popular around here! good machine?

aye i know of a few fellas that have one, sam martin in bnbridge and louis mcmurray outside dromore seem to be good machines ;)

McConnel Rhino's are great! Heavy and strong, I used the same one for 12 years before a flail took its place. It cut setaside, stubble, pasture, game cover. Great machine. Only running maintenance aside from greasing is to slacken and reset the clutch pack springs on the pto slip clutch. Or have a shear bolt shaft fitted instead.

McConnel Rhino's are great! Heavy and strong, I used the same one for 12 years before a flail took its place. It cut setaside, stubble, pasture, game cover. Great machine. Only running maintenance aside from greasing is to slacken and reset the clutch pack springs on the pto slip clutch. Or have a shear bolt shaft fitted instead.

I was told bearings in the gearbox are crap - big topic about it on BFF! :D