The Adventures of Marky and HATTIE the MF5480 - born 18th July 2009

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I thought I give you all a small update on my business of late... the good news is that in the last few weeks, cardboard and plastic prices have risen quite steeply... so I've been sending out truck loads like billy'o' for obvious reasons  :P

We had a truck load of cardboard leave yesterday... 60 bales at £85 per tonne... and I'm looking to move on a lorry load of mixed farm plastics next week... just waiting on the prices to be confirmed...

It's finally (for the first time since I bought the baler) worth baling waste as a commercial venture... in recent times it's really been our of necessity to avoid my Fruit & Veg operation incurring landfill tax prices for my waste  :-\

So... in short... happy days  :D:P  .. anyone got any cardboard they want to get rid of ???  :D :D

Here's a truck load of plastics awaiting loading...

DSCN0230.jpg

the remaining stock we have of cardboard baled.. and awaiting baling (lumpy's job tomorow)

DSCN0238.jpg

DSCN0239.jpg

in adition to this... it's even more good news that my bagging operation has also picked up quite well...

DSCN0241.jpg

I've done two loads of toppy today with the old Bailey... which is getting far too much use of late...

DSCN0242.jpg

and a load of carrots for my mate John the cattle farmer...

DSCN0240.jpg

Poor old Hattie is dirty as well.. it's a good job you can't see her now.. you'd be ashamed of me  :-[:D :D

DSCN0245.jpg

Busy then, Mark!! Glad to hear the price has gone up for plastics... I'll be raiding the back boxes in our street tonight then  ;D:laugh: :laugh:

So how many tonnes are you getting on a lorry then (if you wish to divulge your earnings on the open boards). Will you be going out more with the baler soon then do you think?

Thanks Trissy... I'm getting approx 21-22.5 tonnes on a lorry mate... usually 66 bales... 3 high... off-pallets

In all honesty mate I'm making more money on the aggregates and soil at the minute... so it's a job to know which way to turn really  :-\  .. I need a member of staff on this really at this time of year... but it would need to be someone very special to fit my exacting standards for a Hattie Driver if you know what I mean.. things soon get worn out and broken with the wrong kind of bloke mate... you only have to look at the state of my vans to see that  :'( :-[>:(

I think I'd rahter invest more in plant to make my life easier.. and more efficient than a person right now  :-[

:D :D :D  .. bring it on Trissy  :D :D

And yes.. it's a pain really... Nobody has the passion for your business that you do... makes it hard to employ anyone really  :-\  ... and I've got enough on my plate with 21 workers on the F & V as well  :'(  :-\

all on the up for the time being then mark , good on you i say , i know you're a nice chap an all , but it's good to see someone willing to take the risk & gamble , unlike some , if you can get through the first year you're onto a good thing , i feel sorry for the people who cant get the first year done .

i dare say john still has some of those brazil nuts he could offer you , i sure he & TT have sucked the chocolate off by now , after all christmas wasn't that long ago :-\

• 1 month later...

My new flail mower arrived today... here she is before I get the chance to break it... bend it... run over solid objects, wrap fence wire around it and generally make a mess of it  :-[

DSCN0324.jpg

DSCN0326.jpg

Got 10 acres to cut later in the week... I'll get some pictures on it's first test flight

nice little flail mower but do you have enough work for one or did you ask around before you bought it and how did you explain this purchase  :laugh:

more than likley blamed me for it denis, i tend to get the balme for most of his buys with the wife, hence why i wear full body armour when i visit :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

looks a tidy buy marky, could have got them to paint it all red mind

Verges, headland margins..... what's the plan then Mark?

Oh and why Twose..... Come on, dish out all the info please!! Shearbolt, slip clutch, belts?? Spill the beans!!  :) :)

slip clutch Trissy... belt drive... hammer flails.. she'll cut up to 45mm so the spec says... Twose looked like the nicest machine with what my dealer had on offer... (Twose, Major or Reiko)... 400mm hydraulic offset.  That's about all I can say really...

As for use... well yet again I have out the cart before the horse here really  :-[  ... so if you know anyone with a field margin or two that needs cutting please pass them my way

Marcus... regretfully... Man-Flu is still with us mate as well .. in bed last night at 7pm again to try and sweat it out a bit  :'(

I'll do up a flyer to my best arable customers and see what comes up...

The only problem with this combo is the size of it... not exactly easy to manuvre about around trees etc

yep could see this coming

HISTON PARKS & GRASSLAND CONTRACTORS