The Adventures of Marky and HATTIE the MF5480 - born 18th July 2009

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know when he reaches Devon Sean  :laugh: :laugh:

Is it raning down that way Mark... I can't run the risk of getting my hair wet  :of:-[:D :D

Sean.... they just about take the bloody thing to bits mate I reckon... three pages of stuff...  :of :'(

I'm having welded centres on the rear now too  ;D

Is it raning doen that way Mark... I can't run the risk of getting my hair wet  :of:-[:D :D

Sean.... they just about take the bloody thing to bits mate I reckon... three pages of stuff...  :of :'(

I'm having welded centres on the rear now too  ;D

Are you turning Scottish Mark ???

Yes it is by the way  ::)

Well here's my loaner that I am VERY pleased to say went back today... I only had it while Hattie has been in for her 1200 hours service (at 1208 hours  :of ) ...

IMG_0044.jpg

Since I've had the new Nokian tyres on I've had some mild cracks appear in the wheel rim.. MF kindly agreed to allow me to 'upgrade' to welded centres.. although I had to buy the studs, spacers and nuts.... here she is, fresh from her first major service..

IMG_0046.jpg

The 5465 looks a clean enough tractor though Marky. Must have been a basic spec machine though - single front worklamps, no front links and a single beacon by thge looks of it. Would do me fine  :P  ;)

Hattie's still looking fresh too - nothing major in the service then? It amazed me when the 6480 came back from it's how much they charge for oil  :of

Well Mart the 5465 is a nice machine... basic as you say... although it does have the privilege pack by the looks of things... spare trainers seat, air suspension drivers seat, hook ends, etc... BUT... I've been spoilt rotten of late.. so I couldn't wait to get Hattie back again.  Got 30t of crushed concrete to collect and level tomorrow morning and about 40t of cardboard to move around on my new low loader.. so thank heavens is all I can say  ;D

I've not had the invoice as yet for this service... but it was a major one I do know... I think the bill will be filled under 'O' when it arrives ...... for Oooooo nasty  :of :'( :D :D

I'm not sure why I have the reputation of being 'minted' .... I can honestly and most sincerely give you my assurance that this is... sadly... NOT the case  :-[  .. my wallet is indeed heavy... with bills  :-[ :'(

No fender extensions mate... I didn't order them from new... foolishly.... as you end up with half the road sitting on top of the arches.. no problem with mud.. but it tends to 'chew up' the road at Harvest time and you end up with sticky tar covered stones on the top which are not so easy to shift

Poor old Lumpy  :-[:D :D

I am ... so nothing to spill at the minute Nick.. although.. with a new 5600 series due soon... I'll be investigating Mrs F's purse I guess  :P:D :D :D

Seriously though... nothing in the pipeline at the moment.. honest gov  :police:

Sean.... I wish.. I suspect I'll plump for another 5400/5600 style 'stockman' machine.. I have no need for the additional spec a 6400/6600 yields  :-\

Mrs F has saved you a match box and a piece of Cotton wool Tris... that's your bed sorted... welcome aboard partner  :P

Now then... I mentioned in a previous post (not in here though) that I've recently invested in a second hand bale clamp.  My problem WAS that I've moved some of my bales to a local farmers yard and it's too rough to run a traditional forklift over.. so I needed another method of moving my bales safely with the tractor.  I doubt there are many people who use a tractor to move bales like this so it's been very difficult to get a definitive answer on what will and won't work.  For this reason I 'donned' my sensible head, rid myself of my 'shiny paint syndrome' that Dr Mike diagnosed so recently... and found a secondhand clamp.  It's actually a 'white good clamp' designed to move boxes such as fridges and washing machines etc.

Anyway... once it arrived I had to do some engineering works to it to make it fit the tractor.  The good news is hat this was relatively easy really.. as the forklift faceplate I had was a standard Category II fork mounting plate it went (almost) straight on (little bit of grinding to make a centre castelation that was missing)... so... once mounted it was just a job of getting it piped up - and all this before we knew if it would even work.  bearing in mind it's a white goods clamp, designed for use on a traditional forklift, when we are trying to use it as a bale clamp on a tractor loader  :-\

Well.. the good news is that it works  ;D ... not only that but it actually picks up two bales at a time - which is a great plus point when loading a lorry... safely - as always... a picture says 1,000 words.. here it is..

view from the bridge...

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

The clamp works off the tractors third service of course...

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

As the yard is so rough it's just not possible to use a smaller wheeled machine... I've got a couple of lorry loads here now as well.. and it's just gone up to over £100 per tonne again... which goes SOME WAY to justify the investment I hope... here is my piles... ooooo errrr Mrs

IMG_0051.jpg

With all that weight out the front I am going to need the weight block on the back in the future.. she's a tad light on the backend when I'm loaded up  :of