A bit of work in Essex

Smithy140

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a centenery is looming. Is the family planning any 100yr anniversary to mark the occasion? Will you be the next generation to take the reigns?

Lovely old 7710, is she worked or does she just come out for playtime? Thanks for the machine info Smithy. Looking forward to more photos :)

So a centenery is looming. Is the family planning any 100yr anniversary to mark the occasion? Will you be the next generation to take the reigns?

Lovely old 7710, is she worked or does she just come out for playtime? Thanks for the machine info Smithy. Looking forward to more photos :)

yeah we are ahving a party in september. good time in farming  :D. yeah i think i will be the next one to take control. the 77 is worked although spends most of her time on the hedgecutter.

a couple of pics. firstly our jcb 526s and secondly our ford 3000 which is 40 next year :);)

post-2109-132639130815_thumb.jpg

post-2109-132639130924_thumb.jpg

nice collection of pictures building up ;) bet your looking forward to taking hold of the family farm in the future. What's the ford behind your jcb and the tractor behind the 3000 ?????? tell us a bit about your farm then ;)

the tractor behind both of them is a ford 6610. i'll get a picture. we farm about 400 acres and grow rape barley oats and wheat. ist situated between brentwood and chelmsford not far from the A12.

a couple of pictures of the combine cutting oats which we finished yesterday.

post-2109-132639133934_thumb.jpg

post-2109-13263913403_thumb.jpg

last night was brilliant. NOT! about half past eleven my dad gets a phonecall from my uncle saying did you know that your straw stack is on fire. so we got up to go and see and it was all wrecked by the time we got there and there was helicopters and fire engines everywhere. so it started to die down and the firemen said to my dad will you sit with it for the night. so we ended up sitting watching our own straw burning from half 1 til 6 this morning. I am now very tired and haven't slept in 36hours. farming, wouldn't do anything different :);):D

Arson? There was a spate of it round my way ten years ago, barns, stacks, even bales not stacked yet! Still two or three a year now. Very annoying although not personally. Were you keeping it or was it for later sale?

Arson? There was a spate of it round my way ten years ago, barns, stacks, even bales not stacked yet! Still two or three a year now. Very annoying although not personally. Were you keeping it or was it for later sale?

yep its was arson. put loads of petrol round it. we had 2 unstacked bales go up a couple of weeks ago. yeah it kinda makes you think that you can't leave anything anywhere without sonething happening to it. the bales were sold to skeggs straw. big company. do 60000 big squares a year. the fire started at 11:30 and at 11:45 they brought the forklift here to clear them up the next moring. s**ds law that. they're baling our oat straw tomorrow and clearing it up literally behind the baler thank god!

when i was younger the farm i lived on backed onto a large council estate, that was teribble for arson from kids. As you hadsold on the straw was it still your stack or responsabillity of skeggs ???

Have you had any attacks before?

we haven't left any straw in the swaff for a long time because the last time we did this happened. we decided to this year but i think we will carry on as we do still get paid for it whatever happens.

when i was younger the farm i lived on backed onto a large council estate, that was teribble for arson from kids. As you hadsold on the straw was it still your stack or responsabillity of skeggs ???

as soon as the straw comes out the back of the combine its thier responsibiltiy. that there policy. they have been very good to us really. as I said when they bale the oat straw they're picking it up immediatley.