marston trailer conversion

Pete

Question

these trailers work out at about 14 ton which is too big for my farm so i've cut one shorter to make a 10 tonner. i'm sure some one else has done this so any advice on best ways with shortening and strengthening the chassie please advice ??? ??? :)

did them a long time ago now, first to do them at the time ,jamie has done one based on mine recentlyas have several others to from memory, really depends what you want tailgate wise, i used to remove the back section and build a new tailgate and surround, jaime cut the front off and left the origonal hydralic  tipping rear on, the chassis works the same for both to a good degree,can always pm you as i did with jamie easier to explain this way

heres a few pics of the last one i built, only ever sold 2 of these both to ben of all people see he does spend from time to  time  :D :D :D

most i sold were normal no covered and silage ones again with new doors fitted

003-15.jpg

004-13.jpg

005-13.jpg

006-12.jpg

007-8.jpg

008-2.jpg

Done five of these now in silage and grain version four are like seans with new tailgate and locking mechanism built on the back end.

I always put either a bit of small brass or alloy rod inside the chassis rails to help keep the glued joint together on the chassis.

Plus you can cut a strip of plasticard to stick on the outside of the chassis for extra reinforcement too and thus covering the joint.

pm me later on i have to go out again now,been a while since i did one i guess i could do a new one and a how to topic at the same time for all if required, i dont sell any more so would help a few out, would take a day or 2 to sort mind

please do sean as i would like to build an 8 ton version for the 2850

Done five of these now in silage and grain version four are like seans with new tailgate and locking mechanism built on the back end.

I always put either a bit of small brass or alloy rod inside the chassis rails to help keep the glued joint together on the chassis.

Plus you can cut a strip of plasticard to stick on the outside of the chassis for extra reinforcement too and thus covering the joint.

was thinking of brass strip inside for strength but had not thought of plasticard over the top ;) trip to model shop in morning and try again :D

I was watching a pair of brand new 16ton Marstons at work yesterday and noticed that they now have very chunky tyres on them , just like the new Miedema model ones.  Cant help but think that by somehow fitting the existing Marstontrailer onto the Miedema chassis and tailgate (if it fits) could make a cracking trailer :)  Mind you time and costs would probably be prohibitive :-\

it worked :D :D brass strip in chassie and had to reposistion the ram on the body. Only remaining problem is the ram is not keeping body tipped :( but that should improve when i put a correct size pin through thepivoting holes, only a paper clip at the minute :D :D

the plan is too spray blue, needs hoses fitting and fancy fitting the roll over sheeting ;)

post-1653-132639140105_thumb.jpg

post-1653-132639140125_thumb.jpg

Thats looking good Pete likeing the drawbar as well and it will be intersting to see how a rollover sheet is made and mounted on to it :)

Thanks  ;D the thoughts are deep in how to get it working. The drawbar is 9mm plastrut the end is filled with a bit of filler and the ring is 6mmx1mm brass strip (harder wareing) ;D

Cut silage sides of another marston and going to start my herron tomorrow.Keep up the good work

thanks ;)

good conversion, well done ;) i have been thinking about doing one myself but i need a bale trailer at the min :D

thanks, i've cut the head of my britains trailer and built a rack front and back, will post pics later ;D

tip for the rams if they dont stay up, just hit the ends of the metal inserts with a hammer a few times to form a slight flat end, that way it forms a tightness inside the plastic just file to fine fit they are easy to remove, just do it in a vice and you bend them then

did them a long time ago now, first to do them at the time ,jamie has done one based on mine recently as have several others to from memory.

If ever someone was guilty of blowing smoke uop their own a$$. .  .. .  :D :D :D :D ;D

(Even if you did do a cracking job. Lad.  ;D:D)