Help with MF 200 series tractors.

An Interested Spectator

Got some long term plans for making a trio of 200 series models.

I already have a 250 created from a Britains MF 362, and have the bits to make a 290 from a Britains 595. I would also like to try a 298, but its not a tractor i have come across in the flesh.

Is it a 6 cylinder tractor, and if so can someone suggest a chassis that would be right size wise ? I was thinking Britains Volvo if it is.

Also, does anyone know when the chassis colour changed from Stoneleigh grey to slate grey.

Cheers in advance

Adie.

Adie.. 298 is a perkins A4.318.2 engine.. basically an upgraded 1080/595... so in answer to your question... a 4 potter...

MF gave the 200 series a 'facelift' to charchol grey in late 81.. early 82 ... the 298 was about in around 1985... so it's only ever going to be in this later livery...

Hope that helps... good luck and please keep us posted on your progress

the 298 was a long wheelbase tractor so you might get away with the volvo2645 chassis  ,

also i cant remember if the 298 was offered with anything other than the duncan supercab  as have never seen one fitted with anything else  would have thought i'd have seen a different one by now  ???

i have used a 298 for ploughing & buckrakeing , slightly sluggish , & typical of the longwheel base could feel a bit cumbersome around the yards  but brilliant on the pit , other than that not a bad tractor really

• 5 months later...

In short Stanley.. No !

We have members from all over the world who try to read our dribble... I don't think L O and L  :) have made it into the pocket guides of how to speak English yet... however... the words Laugh, Out and Loud have  :-\

I just usually say "Haha" doesn't get filtered and just as obvious that you're laughing...

Blimey Rick, that 283 row crop is seriously wide! Looks like a dog skating on ice with all its legs splayed out!

i really must do my 290 2wd with duncan super cab sometime, got the mf80 loader done to fit on it, many a happy day spent blae stacking flat 8's with that, door removed and radio up load

Just want to quote this post before you modify it Sean... that made me howl...

So... you were stacking blae's with the radio up load  :D :D :-*  ... I love you Pullover  :-*:D :D :D

Just want to quote this post before you modify it Sean... that made me howl...

So... you were stacking blae's with the radio up load  :D :D :-*  ... I love you Pullover  :-*:D :D :D

I don't even bother anymore...maybe if there was a "Devon Dork Dictionary" I could use it but without one hopeless to understand at times...... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't even bother anymore...maybe if there was a "Devon Dork Dictionary" I could use it but without one hopeless to understand at times...... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bit much rick , after all , he's not really one of us , he may have been down here for many years but he'll never fit in  :-\  but got to give it to him he does speak drivvel & phoneticly his spelling's spot on, some time's it's hard to tell the difference between sean & a real cornishman  :-[

what happened to the 290 you built years back for the original ash tree farm sean ?

wasnt really up to scratch marcus, cab was wrong, used a 362 one to make a sankey stye version, chassis was wrong to, the 290 was more sizes to a 595 chassis, now i have got better with the scratch builds i have no worrys over attempting a duncan supercab, although i am not to sure i can make it removable like ours was ,top came of level with the archs leaving the lower front still in place, but the cab and archs are no issue now