Claas Jaguar 850 Speedster with Kemper header harvesting hemp in Suffolk...

malcy_p

Here's a rarity in these parts - and the first time I've seen a Jaguar in action. These boys had come down from Preston to do a few hundred acres in Suffolk and Essex. There were three blokes - the one who was the manager asked why I was taking photos. I told him the potted history of my 'thing' about Claas combines etc - to which he replied 'Well, this isn't a combine, it's a forager...'

I don't think he grasped the level of my enthusiasm for Claas stuff! ;)

post-1701-132639151022_thumb.jpg

post-1701-13263915103_thumb.jpg

I asked the guys with the Jag a question, which they didn't know the answer to...

So, knowledgeable boys and girls, why remove the Claas header and run with a Kemper one? Who/what are Kemper - all I know is that Britians released a Claas Jag with a Kemper header so they must be big in the forager world!?

post-1701-132639151041_thumb.jpg

post-1701-132639151049_thumb.jpg

Kemper were the first company to produce the rotary type header if I remember correctly, the others all followed suit.

The hemp is baled next as they like it kept as long as possible to get the fibrous core out of it. We used to combine it first taking just the top 12-18 inches off, makes the crop more valuable if you can get the seed as well, then it was cut with an old disc mower. Hemp plays hell up with machinery though, any thing that moves and it wraps round it

guess the kemer header was a aftermarket buy, therefore cheaper than the claas version, , you do get silage up that way malcy, know of a few farms round that do dairy and grass, one near my nans old farm, in occold, but its so rare they used a trailer forager, as did the others i knew of, wasnt worth the cost for the sizes of the farms

the kemper is one of the best headers around been around a long time we use to run one but it was changed for the claas version which is just not as good so our driver of the forager says they all look the same to me doesnt stop the trailers comeing in any slower to me  8)

gyou do get silage up that way malcy,

Oh indeed - I've seen the wrapped bales of silage and so on, but never seen a Jaguar in action in Suffolk - Krone and JD but not that interested in these two-bit also-rans!! ;)

Besides, not only was the Jag in Suffolk, it was in my village! :D

Here's a rarity in these parts - and the first time I've seen a Jaguar in action. These boys had come down from Preston to do a few hundred acres in Suffolk and Essex. There were three blokes - the one who was the manager asked why I was taking photos. I told him the potted history of my 'thing' about Claas combines etc - to which he replied 'Well, this isn't a combine, it's a forager...'

I don't think he grasped the level of my enthusiasm for Claas stuff! ;)

I dont think they will be anymore as the hemp job has gone out the window cause its hit harlow agricultural merchants hard

That's what I said!!! I then said there must be money in it, to which the driver replied 'Not for me!'  :(

If you look between the forager and the header there is a transfer box which drops the crop onto the floor instead of putting it through the forager. This is something you would only use on crops such as Hemp. May seem extreme to get a gang in from so far away but there may not be that many people running the gear. Or like Stevo with his elephant grass, they have the contract to plant it for a company. .. .  A company who source ground from Taunton to Northampton! So guess where Stevo has to go planting! This gang may have the contract for the harvesting so have to go where the crop is.