Quick question on Min-Till

CX820Joe

We give it one pass of the terra disc then one or two passes with a 5 leg flat lift at 16 inches deep, we don't get so many clods then. One of the big poato growers locally uses a Cousins Patriot one pass cultivator on a Challenger, a one pass system is on our wish list but just out of budget for our area of potatoes

Thanks for your reply. Have you got any idea on how much fuel you are using with the Terradisc and subsoil twice compared to ploughing? Or isn't that the reason you are min-tilling them?

I take it the potatoes are grown on (very) light land so subsoiling early in the spring isn't so much of an issue or is all this and bed forming carried out in the autumn?

Its not all light land, we do it this way as there tends to be a lot less clod than we would get with ploughing. The problem with ploughing was that we couldn't get it deep enough to bed depth whereas with subsoiling we can and it is also quicker

British Sugar ran trials on direct drilled beet a few years ago not sure on the results but most farmers dont like change.

I know of several farms on very heavy land just subsoil and bedform straight after the combine, before potatoes.

In fact on very heavy soil ploughing tends to be avoided no matter what the crop it just makes for recreational tillage.

MOST SPUD LAND ROUND MY AREA IS PLOUGHED , WHOA  whoa , sorry for shouting .....

as saying mostly all ploughed , only two farms i know actually min till their potatoes , but their land is so sandy , they cant afford to plough as any moisture there just dissapates soon as turned , at least the spuds go into freshly worked soil from the bed tilller, or some times just the formers