A few questions from down under

kojak

Hi guys, I'm new here and am just starting to get back into model collecting after 25 years. I live in Australia but cannot seem to find any retailers for farm toy models down here. I was hoping some one here might have some info or know of a dealer down under.

Thanks

Cliff

Hopefully Richie will reply here Kojak. If not go to the Model Farm Layout board and look for his 1/87th display. He is a British ex pat living in your homeland. He may be able to help you.

Have you tried Google too?

Welcome to the asylum anyway, Cliff. Good to have another member from so far away sign up. Hope you find some stockists.

welcome to ftf mate, hope you enjoy it on here,

now this is quite weird but we pointed a guy from down under to the forums owner at toytrac, as he wanted details on how to contact britains as he was looking to become a stockist of rc2/britains and uh ,not sure if he will suceed, but we hopefully got him a number at least

Thanks for the replies guys. I have googled but not much in the way of UH or Britains etc down here, probably have to buy from Uk or Ireland and ship them here....if anyone knows any good retailers with good shipping rates let me know. I grew up in Ireland and nearly every toy shop in town sold Britains, I still have a good collection of late 70's and 80's models back home in my folks attic.....I hope.

Tractorbob Adelaide is a nice laid back city compared to Melbourne or Sydney and the Gold Coast is great. Lots to do..theme parks for kids, great restaurants and nightlife and Surfers Paradise is prob one of the nicest beaches in the world.

You might like to try The Model Barn in New Zealand. I am not 100% it is still in business but it is worth a search.

Also member 'spud' I think is Australian, another helpful contact possibly.

Stayed in Sydney for a week a year or two ago en route home from working in New Zealand.

I'm not a huge city fan but I loved Sydney, modern, clean, felt safe. . . I loved it.

Thanks Deer-est I just checked out the model barn in NZ and they're still open. Prices in Uk seem to be a lot cheaper than here. Just bought a new UH 135 model on ebay UK and including shipping costs its worked out a lot cheaper than model barn without shipping.....but will have to wait and see if it arrives in one piece.

Yeah Sydney is great, very green and great weather....don't get to see rain that often but it can sometimes get very humid in summer. Worked out in the bush some years ago and loved it. Some of the fields out there are 4500 acres and the machinery is massive, was a great experience.

Hi Kojak

I too am avid collector from Australia and have found the best place to purchase models in Australia is from Collector Models in Ballarat (collectormodels.com.au)

More often than not though it works out cheaper to purchase from shops or off ebay in the UK or the USA, even with the added cost of postage and currency transfer.

I have purchased many items this way and found that the goods arrive in about 7 days from either the UK or the USA and always arrive in A1 condition.

Happy collecting.

You might like to try The Model Barn in New Zealand. I am not 100% it is still in business but it is worth a search.

Yeah he is still in business tris, visited him whilst i was on holiday there, he stocks a good range of britains/siku/uh, not bad prices either.

Thanks for website links guys...looks like I can get really good value from the US including shipping.

Tris I worked for a contactor who had 80ft Janke drills pulled with Case steigers 535's. He had a 120ft prototype built but the 535 struggled a bit when direct drilling on hard ground. I'll post some pics of them in the farm talk section over the weekend if I get a chance.

Tried to have a look at that page on the profi website about Aus but can't get it to open, pity I'm curious to know where it was. No I don't do the farmwork anymore I only did it for a bit of a change really.....got sick of city living and only intended doing it for 3 - 4 months over the harvest but liked the work and country life so I stayed out there for nearly 2 years. I work with high voltage electricity cables 11000 kv and up and fibre optics so it was a stress free change for a while. Ended up running the maintainance crew for most of it, because to be honest after the novelty of the big machines wears off and you're sitting on a tractor or combine for 18hrs a day in a 4000ac field it gets seriously boring.

I'm working away from home at the minute installing cables into a new substation but I hoping to get home at the weekend so I'll post some pics if I do.