Sowing nitrogen gas with 80ft Janke seeder in NSW

kojak

what way does the gas work ???

I'm puzzeled, here its in liquid form or most commomly pellet/granule form

Anhydrous ammonia takes a liquid form when put under pressure and thats the way its stored and comes on delivery and its also kept below a certain temperature. When its released into the atmosphere it turns back into gas. When its injected into the soil it reacts with the moisture and stays in the ground. Its can be very dangerous working with it. Most ferilizers I've worked with here apart from nitrgen gas has been liquid and is sprayed on. Granular may be used on irrigated or ground that recieves a lot of rainfall, but on broadacre farming that doesn't get moisture that often you could be waiting 6 mths for the rain to come to wash it in  :)

If you look closely at the pic you can see that the pots and hoses are frozen even though the temp was up around 40c when I did that job. You could fit 3 small beers in the center pot and it took 1 1/2 hrs to chill them nicely for the drive home across the property after along hard day.... ;D 

30gasrigview.jpg

The system is and was used widely in the US. Ertl produced a 1/32 Anhydrous tanker. In the UK the idea was used but not widely in the 1970's and 1980's. Often into grassland the nitrogen was believed to give earlier grass growth due to the nitrogen being available to the plant quicker.

Mercy! What kind of speed are you travelling with that moster of a drill on the back? The view to the rear of a perfectly straight bout across the field looks great. . ..  I have one like that from the cab of my Ford 7840 looking over the power harrow. . .. not quite the same actually is it?!  :D

When you say 'for the drive back' how long would this take you, I'm thinking some of the fields there are a main few miles across at 4500 acres!

Mercy! What kind of speed are you travelling with that moster of a drill on the back? The view to the rear of a perfectly straight bout across the field looks great. . ..  I have one like that from the cab of my Ford 7840 looking over the power harrow. . .. not quite the same actually is it?!  :D

When you say 'for the drive back' how long would this take you, I'm thinking some of the fields there are a main few miles across at 4500 acres!

gps is cheating

In the UK the idea was used but not widely in the 1970's and 1980's. Often into grassland the nitrogen was believed to give earlier grass growth due to the nitrogen being available to the plant quicker.

The farm my dad worked on had N injected into grassland in the late 70s and i have injected N into potato ridges, but this is all in liquid form not gas.

let me get this right you're effectively injecting liquid nitrogen ?

It is liquid in the tank but it expands back into gas when its injected into the soil or released into air. It then reacts to the soil moisture to create ammonium ions like urea.

Mercy! What kind of speed are you travelling with that moster of a drill on the back? ...

Usually around 12 to 16 kms depending on soil type and if was direct drill or on cultivated ground.....red dirt is very hard when direct drilling.

This property was around 35k to the furthest paddock....first thing I got from the manager was a map so I wouldn't get lost.

you say most fertilisers are in liquid form, would some of that be in suspension?

All of the spraying I did was with clear solutions but I remember reading an article a few years back about trials with suspensions in South Australia on calcereous soil with great results.