Blast from the past for Massey Fans.

jdc

Thought you two would like them. :)

Lovely pics JDC - thanks for those - The first one reminds me of my MF days - would have been an imperial MF30 at that time eh ?

I think it was a '20 row'  and was about 2.4 m so it had to go when tramlines finally arrived here. I could check the instruction book tomorrow (we got a drawer full!)

In 1988 we use to buy two old imperial ones.... weld them together and make 6m ones as Massey did'nt make metric ones at that time.  I remember getting the job of putting the rubber hoods into the boots - what a nightmare on your fingers - If you used washing up liquid they would pop out when you lowered the discs so they had to go in dry.

I also got the job of spraying them as well -another nightmare too !! - too many angles for my liking !

In 1988 we use to buy two old imperial ones.... weld them together and make 6m ones as Massey did'nt make metric ones at that time.

If you've seen my welding you'd know why we bought a 4 m. Accord in 87!

I remember getting the job of putting the rubber hoods into the boots - what a nightmare on your fingers - If you used washing up liquid they would pop out when you lowered the discs so they had to go in dry.

I think I used the pliers for putting rings on lambs tails........with moderate success  :)

My 'favourite' job was disc bearings.....like painting the Forth Bridge.

Guest MF 550

What a lovely tractor pulling that seed drill,nice photos-nice to see the 3 fergies lined up in the yard.

Anybody else got some in the archives they can share with us.

Guest MF 550

What a lovely tractor pulling that seed drill.

Nice shot of the 3 fergies lined up in the yard

Anybody else got something in the archives they would like to share with us-makes a change from modern tackle

Aye the one on the plough (KV E160) would be close to new, she was on a 'J' plate. Was poor when first arrived but MF changed fuel p/p and injectors and she turned out a great tractor.........still going a few miles from here  :)

'Fraid my brains not that good Marky.....was a Perkins 6 cyl but can't remember which unit (signs of old age :() It was a different engine to 3095 which had been out a while; and wasn't turboed.

Yes I remember grinding and welding bearings as well - Took days diddn't it - still good welding practice though? :D

My MOORE UNIDRILL was a pig to get at being 4 3/4" spacing so even for coating  surfaces with waste oil for over wintering I used to lift the drawbar with the loader & sit it on its back frame, then be able to sit comfotably on the old milking stool doing all the maintenance on the coulters at a comfortable level. :)

• 2 years later...

brilliant john , seemed to have missed this , what a great topic , any more pics ? how come you moved away from massey for your prime mover?

Cheers Marcus......the reason? The 61 series.... :(