Britains Royal Landau -1952 Coronation

Leakeyvale

I know this is not strictly a Farm model but I realised this morning that it IS part of my 1:32 collection and what is more is not included in my insurance. 

It was bought in 1952 by my uncle and in 1988 my aunt gave it to my husband.  I loved it as a child and remember feeling a just little peeved that it was given to Stu.  So silly of me because we both enjoyed having it.

It ihas never been played with and is completely intact.  The footmen are there, so is the Queen and Prince Phillip (then the Duke of Edinburgh).  All the postilions have their arms and whips.  In fact it is as close to mint condition that you can get considering the age.  Unfortunately my uncle took it out of the box to put it on display and the box went the way of all packaging materials - it was binned or burnt.

Question for the Britains experts: - any idea of the value of this?  I have been scouring the web and cannot find anything.

post-1227-132639209183_thumb.jpg

I saw one on a table at the toy fair at the 3 counties a year ago marked up at 600 quid or something, but it was way off mint. Don't know whether it actually sold or not.... I only noticed it because I'd given Emily 20 quid to spend and she decided she wanted that... which was fine until I saw the price... ???

I saw one on a table at the toy fair at the 3 counties a year ago marked up at 600 quid or something, but it was way off mint. Don't know whether it actually sold or not.... I only noticed it because I'd given Emily 20 quid to spend and she decided she wanted that... which was fine until I saw the price... ???

Poor Emily!  I can imagine her disappointment as t is a lovely model.

I think £600 is a bit far-fetched, especially if not mint.  It is a puzzle really - what do I insure it for.  I think it would have to be £150+ but I really don't know.  I did see one at Shepton a few years back with £200 price tag but it hadn't sold before I left and that had it's box but wasn't mint either.

Think I shall just have to keep watching the auction houses.

Yes Sue, she was a bit miffed!!  :laugh:

I thought it was high, they seemed to have a lot of high priced stuff on the table there though...  :-\

You might need to get it professionally valued, be interested to hear what it is worth.... :)

Hi Sue, the Britains Civilian Toy Figures book by Norman Joplin et all has this listed at $450-$550 in mint boxed condition. Book published in 2002 so not that accurate now although I don't hold much faith in the prices therein............to cheap some of them, for over here, methinks  ;) 

I hope this is of some help  :)

Hi Sue, the Britains Civilian Toy Figures book by Norman Joplin et all has this listed at $450-$550 in mint boxed condition. Book published in 2002 so not that accurate now although I don't hold much faith in the prices therein............to cheap some of them, for over here, methinks  ;) 

I hope this is of some help  :)

Thanks - Yes, it is in there.  I have a copy but didn't think of looking at the FRONT of the book.  All my bookmarks are in Farm sections!!!!

I agree as it was published in 2002 the prices are out of date and considering the world recession may well be overstated.  Unfortunately mine does not have its box but is otherwise in super condition.

Oh well I never.  One has just appeared on ebay.  Seller says 1960 but I still think it is 50s model.  (I see he has put one of the postillions in the wrong place), Now watching to see if it sells!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Britains-Royal-State-Landau-Coach-1960---1967-Elizabeth_W0QQitemZ120498714267QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091128?IMSfp=TL091128201003r11658

According to James Opie in The Great Book of Britains,  'set 2094 State Open Road Landau' was introduced in 1954 and not deleted until 1967.

That's a book I do not have and I think I should try to get one. Thanks for the info as I was sure my uncle bought it in the 50s and not later!

Incidentally Warner Hall tells me there is a book on the History of Britains being compiled - 5 authors are collaborating (I suspect Warner is one of them although he didn't say)

The Great Book of Britains was expensive when it was 'in print', but the prices being asked (and acheived!) for it now are astounding.  I'm pleased I got mine at the time (a friendly stockist got me one at £60 'cost price', otherwise I probably wouldn't have it either).

I know the new book has been in preparation for some time now.  It is covering British made toy farm equipment up to 1980.  Warner Hall isn't one of the authors, but I think he will probably be consulted with regard to the Britains section, which is being prepared by Peter Wade-Martins. The other authors involved are Mervyn Spokes,  Adrian Little and Robert Newson.

The Great Book of Britains was expensive when it was 'in print', but the prices being asked (and acheived!) for it now are astounding.  I'm pleased I got mine at the time (a friendly stockist got me one at £60 'cost price', otherwise I probably wouldn't have it either).

I know the new book has been in preparation for some time now.  It is covering British made toy farm equipment up to 1980.  Warner Hall isn't one of the authors, but I think he will probably be consulted with regard to the Britains section, which is being prepared by Peter Wade-Martins. The other authors involved are Mervyn Spokes,  Adrian Little and Robert Newson.

It sounds as though you got a bargain and just proves it is not what you know but who you know.  You obviously know a little more about the new book - I am looking forward to getting my hands on a copy (provided it does not have a three-figure price tag!)

Is this the book that comes with metal soldiers?

There were two versions of the Great Book of Britains.  One was just the book itself, with no external packaging (other than the standard dust cover (which is what I have).  The other (much more expensive version) had an identical book, together with a special limited set of metal soldiers packed in a cardboard outer (of the same colour and design as the dust cover), but slightly taller than the book to accomodate the soldiers.

There were two versions of the Great Book of Britains.  One was just the book itself, with no external packaging (other than the standard dust cover (which is what I have).  The other (much more expensive version) had an identical book, together with a special limited set of metal soldiers packed in a cardboard outer (of the same colour and design as the dust cover), but slightly taller than the book to accomodate the soldiers.

Should have asked this as well  ::)  does it cover all aspects of Britains models?

Should have asked this as well  ::)  does it cover all aspects of Britains models?

It does pretty much.  James Opie is mainly an expert on the soldiers, but he has included pretty much everything from the start of Britains as we know it in 1893. 

After a short introduction, the book is divided up with a year to each chapter.  There is a short intro to each years models/developments, and then all the new issues are listed and detailed, and quite a few of them pictured also.  Note is also made of changes to existing lines. He did not go into variations (either colour or casting) except where they are particularly noteworthy. 

His treatment of the civilian models is a little more basic than the military, but they are still covered fully nonetheless, and all the later plastic issues are covered too, and all the farm figures and equipment issued up to 1993, again without going into detail about colour or casting changes. 

There are indices at the back of the book listing every catalogued issue, together with issue and deletion dates.  He stuck closely to the main catalogues, so there are the odd items that he has missed out because they never appeared in the main catalogue (the plastic versions of the lead mould Shepherd and Land Girl spring to mind - they were only ever shown on a New Lines leaflet)

Most of the photographs lean toward the military as one would expect, but there are a good number of pictures of farming models and other civilian lines (including the Herald items), together with a few 'archive' photos of the factory, people and even a few of the factory floor. There are pictures of a few rare and unusual items, including sets, point of sale items and catalogues.

There is even a picture of Dennis Britain admiring the newly produced 'State Open Road Landau' (just to bring the thread back on topic :) )

There is even a picture of Dennis Britain admiring the newly produced 'State Open Road Landau' (just to bring the thread back on topic :) )

I don't think this is going off topic at all - rather it is developing as I asked about the model and the book provided part of the answer.  I shall have to keep my eyes open (and that means eyes of friends too) when browsing around the various sales just in case I spot a copy.