What Britains Farm Models has the most variations???

Tractor Jack

:of  Someone asked about the model what was the longest in production at Britains........... well I ask wich model has the most variations.

With the variations I mean different colours, different decals or whatever.

I think that there are the most variations in the 3-furrow plow.

What is your opinion as a collector?

Jacco

What a question! 

If you are talking Britains models from all periods I would have said the Farmer's Wife as that had as many colour variants as paint tints available (because the outworkers used what they had) plus the options of: - with or without umbrella; swing arm in the pre-war versions and fixed arm in the post-war versions. 

Someone else may have a different opinion though!  ;)

What a question! 

If you are talking Britains models from all periods I would have said the Farmer's Wife as that had as many colour variants as paint tints available (because the outworkers used what they had) plus the options of: - with or without umbrella; swing arm in the pre-war versions and fixed arm in the post-war versions. 

Someone else may have a different opinion though!  ;)

I never knew they used outworkers Aunty Sue  :of

Thinking off the top of my head, I would guess that the Land Rover is a possible contender for this title, introduced around 1967 and still being produced.

Horses and riders is another, you can still get the 'gentleman farmer' and female rider on horse.

I think you'll find that most of the painting of the lead models was done by "cottage workers" for pin money and were paid (a pittance) for x number of models painted. 

Still happens today; certainly with the lead military model figures where one very talented person paints the masters and everyone else has to copy the style.  A friend of mine paints the masters for Tommy Atkins in both "Toy Soldier" (basic gloss without frills) and "Connoisseur" (matte with a very highly detailed finish.  You ought to see his Highland regiments' tartans not to mention his mediaeval knight figures - mind-blowing)

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that they started with all full time, in factory, painters because the Britains family were control freaks; and outpainting started as a favour to a loyal/long-service worker who had a disabled daughter. As she proved to be OK, the system was extended from there.