Trailer sizes.

Jdeere6910

I was talking to a farmer the other day and he was saying that they have two different trailers of different makes. One is a 14 ton and the other a 12, he said that the 12 holds more than the 14. I was wandering wether it was a common thing or just the difference between different makes.

The best way to size trailers now is on cubic capacity, thats why different manufacturers 12 ton trailers will carry different amounts of weight hence why there is also a weight carrying difference between a manufacturers 12 ton grain and 12 ton root trailer

thats always been the case, however if different manufacturers use different calculation methods for calculating weight and volume, for instance there is metric tonnes, imp tons etc not to mention there are different volumes for wheat depending on specific gravity/tgw etc.

Its a bit like the different ways of measuring HP

I think every Triffit I've ever come across has punched above its weight so to speak...

We used to have a 10t dropside Fraser and also used our neighbour's 10 tonne mono Fraser to cart corn, the DST would hold a lot more than the mono but even when they weighed out the same on the bridge at the merchant's, I always felt the DST was struggling and more liable to break in half.... It might well have a higher capacity but in terms of carrying the weight it really was just a 10 tonner....

The best way to size trailers now is on cubic capacity, thats why different manufacturers 12 ton trailers will carry different amounts of weight hence why there is also a weight carrying difference between a manufacturers 12 ton grain and 12 ton root trailer

Spot on Gav. Trailers over here are usually viewed in terms of their length and width.

As already said by many the tonnage capacity of a trailer does not give a good indication of the physical size and capacity. Cubic volume would be the way to compare different makes of trailer. Also a long low trailer could hold more heaped wheat than a short high sided one. Then when hauling grass you have to check how high the silage sides are since some are quite low.