What was the worst job(s) you had on the farm?

Rick

Anything to do with grain dusty job irritating,, give me Dehorning anyday

as yearlings or 10 week old calves used to love it not only did we always have a laugh doing it but we where aiding a better welfare for the beasts as

ive seen first hand what can happen to bulls ect if the still have horns

when they get trapped in feed barriers (very bloody and painfull too)

not to mention a danger to workers and other beasts

So's being in the wrong place by an enthusiastic calf.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything to do with grain dusty job irritating,, give me Dehorning anyday

as yearlings or 10 week old calves used to love it not only did we always have a laugh doing it but we where aiding a better welfare for the beasts as

ive seen first hand what can happen to bulls ect if the still have horns

when they get trapped in feed barriers (very bloody and painfull too)

not to mention a danger to workers and other beasts

Ive worked with Longhorn and Highland never have any problems, but the slightest horn on any other breed and problems galore!!!

Packing small bales in a loft has to be up there as the worst job, especially on a hot day, heat from the roof, no air and lots of dust, what happy days! Even better if it's Barley and the awns irritate the skin. As already stated the elevator has to be kept clear and any idea of being able to throw the excess bales off the elevator onto the ground must remain a dream.

Talking of swedes and or neeps I know a chap who put the following on the back of his new Scania

Built by a Swede ...driven by a neep

The owner also farms but his driver was not to happy being referred to as a neep ( fool ) ;) ;)

that will be "Nicol o Skene" then bill, that scanny is a real tidy motor 8)  seen them in about some of the sites we are on, never fails to amaze me how clean it is, hail rain or shine,considering some of the places he has to go into to pick up plant

Talking about people who shift plant about, obviously I come into contact with them on an almost daily basis, but I have only seen this once, the chap was oiling the hardwood board on the deck, after he had tipped, only a dumper and summer time so no mud but the truck was a couple of years old and was totly mint, he must have kittens when he has to move a 20 ton 360.