TRACTOR & MACHINERY MAGAZINE - APRIL 2010

Had my copy arrive yesterday but have only scanned it over and not had time to read any of the articles yet. Had a copy of Kelsey's 'Classic Car Buyer' in with it, don't know why they're trying to flog this to tractor enthusiasts, perhaps trying to convert us or it's not selling that well. I would not buy it at £2.60 weekly.

Had my copy arrive yesterday but have only scanned it over and not had time to read any of the articles yet. Had a copy of Kelsey's 'Classic Car Buyer' in with it, don't know why they're trying to flog this to tractor enthusiasts, perhaps trying to convert us or it's not selling that well. I would not buy it at £2.60 weekly.

I scanned the car one before T&M Tim...mainly since I was just being nosey. No I like you will not be buying it. I can hardly keep up with my present magazine reading. Some articles I only look at the pictures and if they don't interest me I sometimes don't even read the article ;) ;)

Read the 'Buyers Guide' for the D.B. 885 and found the pictures more interesting than the text. A bit vague in advice to buyers what to look for and could have gone into more detail on fault-finding although knowing this model well and that there are no inherent faults other than maintainence from previous owners and general wear of use.

'Model Corner' concentrating on the 2010 releases from Britains and again no more than we already know and only 2 pages with little amount of text. An extra page on other 2010 releases from other producers would have made things a bit more interesting. Still picking through other articles.

Have you skipped over pages 17 to 21 Tim ???

Just read this article, not just because Mark submitted it, but can honestly say that to date it's one of the most comprehensive descriptive and informative articles on a single tractor that I have read. With the additions of the brochures and sales literature included makes it a lot more interesting which on other tractor models have in the past I have found lacking. Praise be to the Lord!

Praise indeed Tim.

Seriously Mark I have not had a chance to read it but the pictures look good and a nice touch with the brochures especially the three on the cabs. What about good old Aberdeen though did Duncan's not do brochures for the cabs they made ??? ???

Many many thanks Tim.... I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that comment.  I am sure you all know that I'm not a 'professional' at this writing malarky... indeed.. I'm not quite even a novice yet !....

I feel very hounured to have been asked to contribute some work and have done so with a fair old dose of butterflies it has to be said.  So your kind words are most welcome indeed... thanks once again... that comment alone has made my day !

Bill...

I didn't have a Duncan brochure with a 135 on it I don't think..... I've got plenty of Duncan brochures too... but they all seem to feature 185's and 165's in my collection sadly  :-[  ...

There is a feature on Duncan cabs in Classic Massey this issue as well I believe.... but I've not had the chance to read it as yet  :-[

I've received a copy (of Classic Massey) today which appears to be full of my work this time too... I can't believe I am being paid for my hobby... which is brilliant news I reckon  :):P

Perhaps the Duncan cab was too heavy for the 135 Mark and would compromise the performance of the tractor.  ;) Good bit of work though Mark and nice to be able to read an article backed up by illustrations written by someone who knows what they're talking about and not think they know what they're talking about. There are so many articles in all these publications that have slight discrepancies that could be better researched.

Mark,

Being a born and bred Aberdonian or Aberdeenshire "ist" I would like to see those Duncan's brochures ??? ???

I always remember my dad saying when he worked as a joiner with his  father ,elder brother and younger brother plus a couple of employees he said "We will never make money making (hen) chicken sheds and repairing windows and making mucking barrows...dad suggested mass production to make money..tractor cabs, mass production windows. and breeze blocks. In some ways I think he was right but he did not not the backing from his family and well he did not have the capital himself to put his ideas into reality. If he had I could have been a Financial Director sitting back and enjoying myself ;) ;)

Having said that Duncan cabs although still trading they are only really supplying spare parts. Windows well Yule's for Glass and BonAccord Windows are both successful firms in Aberdeen are doing well.

Well sorry to ramble Mark..I'm sounding like Will .the womble.... where has he been wombiling of late....he used to be a very very informative poster on here ???

Has he moved to Wimbilton common ??? ??? ???

I'll get my Duncan brochures posted up on here Bill...

As for the feature on Duncan Cabs... you'll just have to dig deep in those long pockets of yours with your short arms and fork out for a copy of Classic Massey Magazine to read it  ;)

We need the sales as well... that will be 4 copies we've sold already this month if you do... Me, My mum, My Uncle Trevor and now you... actually... strike that... Uncle Trevor just reads it in WH Smiths and doesn't actually BUY a copy to take home  :-[  .. 3 it is then  :)

Thanks Mark...well I did subscribe or lets say I was forced to switch to it when they closed off Farm and Horticulture and made it part of T&M. Tractors seem more appropriate than raring poultery  ;) ;)

I did not renew since well I don't really do justice to the 5 or 6 other magazines I subscribe too.

Clever cookie your uncle Trev ;)

Well you and your dad have done a sterling job in what could only be described as a basket case. How long did the restoration process take ;) ;)

Obviously the judges liked it at the show. I see you have a Blue rosette ( Second ) and a Yellow ( third ) so I assume there were more than one class. Maybe petrol paraffin and a separate one for Fordson's ??? ???

PS What show was the photo taken at ??? ???

Apologies for all the questions but I have 5 tractors of my one 4 of which have been restore and sprayed. The fifth has had engine clutch and steering restoration but I use her for the working day show.