FORD 5000 help

B O R

Question

I am doing a FORD 5000 4wd for a customer and am looking at my options of what to use for main donor....now my question is firstly for anyone who is familiar with both the old and new versions of the BRITAINS models,sit them both together and why is one bigger than the other,thought id ask before having to go find a real model to check it..some one of them is wrong thats for sure so im pondering as to which to use for my main donor......and another question is would anyone have any pictures on the 4wd versions front axle,i need to know where the driveshaft sits so a pic would be good...and personally i prefer the older type britains cab than the new one so im taking my time making a decision

20 answers to this question

well,thats definatly a good start on the info.....is it the same axle used in the 65 and 75 roadless and did the ford Nigel do with a selene apply to the earlier 5000 models too or was it an earlier axle

as far as i know, Ford didnt make any 4wd in the 1000 and x600 series. Those axles/conversions were made by companies like Roadless and County in England. So it might be useful to study the pictures of Roadless 65/75 or County 6600-four / 7600-four to see what axle they used.

As for donor, if you want to have something that is nearest to the real thing, an old Britains 5000 would do best. Second choice would be an UH, but you have to check the engine, as i think a part is missing there(ignitor) and there are a few more mistakes in that model.

the x600 4wd axle's were often from Italy's Carraro. Anyways, if you are seeking literature or pictures of 5000 4wd conversions, i might be able to supply you with a few of those. I do have an odd 20+ books on Ford and over 1000 brochures of Ford and New Holland. It's more then likely that i should have pictures somewhere in that stack of information. ;)

its only fair to show the finished tractor.many thanks to NIGEL FORD for supplying the 4wd front axle......i know many have done these 5000 convo,s for years,DBP for example has been doing lovely examples for years now,but this one has a special story,i will explain in the following pictures....  a picture of the real 4 wd system which is on and is a roadless 75 set up,my model was based on a real machine for a customer and had no weight fitted so you will see the arrangement behind the weight on my model

post-1779-132639288441_thumb.jpg

post-1779-132639288456_thumb.jpg

axle detail..again thanks to Nigel for the axle,i was very impressed with the quality and detail and the amount of work it saved me for the humble price was incredible.i made the front strut as i think Nigel,s was intended for use with the weight??? and i made the power steering ram,i have still to fit the steps and the mirror

post-1779-132639288903_thumb.jpg

post-1779-132639288915_thumb.jpg

Now,i am sure there is a right and a wrong for a FORD 5000,esp the 4wd,but the history of my customers tractor is this..he bought her originally with a duncan cab and 2wd form,in 1975 he bought a scrap roadless75 and converted his 5000 to 4wd and he fitted a FORD 5000 force type cab,he asked me to make him the tractor in 4wd and FORD cab in model form with this wheel equipment

i wouldnt often do a convo like this but i promised this customer a year ago id do it for him..reason is that its for his brother who owned the 5000 who emigrated 21 years ago to boston and this is his 1st time home in that time,and he is getting this as a present,because of this tractor,surely now you are intrigued

complete axle and front wheels from Nigel ford

Where did you get the front axle from?

fordmajor do you actually read the replies  ?

nice looking tractor brian , i must say the old britains casting looks so much better than the new one