Breaking down ploughed ground in front of a 1 pass drill information please?

MODELFARMER

Guys

What machines exist that can be used over ploughing partically (or more) break up the soil in a fast pass, The most obvious one is discs, but i wan something that levels the soil too, Uses low horsepower/draft requirements,

Its for those soils that really need two passes with a powerharrow before sowing to get a fine enough tilth, If my 1 pass is on my 6930 I'd be using it with my 3050 or 6420s, I don't want the expense of another power harrow something that can do the job fairly quickly, Are the leveling boards in front of the cambridge rollers a large horsepower/draft requirement???

Links pictures etc of how well different machines do the job and if my two fore mentioned tractors could work with them and rough costs of operation would be fantastic from anybody who uses such implements

Simple dutch harrow or similar Ricky is all you need. Levelling board, few tines/pegs and crumbler.

We have an older operation. 8ft one bought for IR£300 about 15 years. Has cost nothing this year as nothing broke. Only on a 64hp with no tyres and doing about 3.5 to 4 acres /hr. Tractor seem sto burn very little diesel.

Friend has a similar system to you but only one tractor. He has a 15ft KV springtine harrow and can break down 6-7 acres an hour with a 100hp tractor. He often drills 40 acres a day on his own by being up early breaking down and then sow till late.

Most around here have moved away from ring rollers with breakers on them.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm interesting

U Have any pictures of the job it does?

Remember we have stones, are these an issue, are these still built or is it a 2nd hand machine now only

I have somewhere but can't find them at the minute.

Stones are not a major issue - might just lose a few tines or tips that is all.

Can be built by anyone really to be honest.

You want a simba toptilth if the ground has dried out once ploughed, but you would need to put the tines in deep behind the wheels else it leaves bad marks.

This year we managed to get away with a Simba cultipress, and trailed another home made press behind that did the job nicely.

Everyone is drilling beans at the moment (mainly cos Birdseye have Fubar'd everyone around me) but they are all running around with tines at moment, single pass and that is breaking it up nicely, then drill with the vaderstad. The problem with all these trailed machines is you need speed, we have found that if you don't have speed then it wont smash it up.

I can only speak from past experience of machines, but the toptilth was king until we got a cultipress. We used to have to pull the toptilth with a crawler in some conditions to get the speed as you would need more than 180hp to pull the 4m one nicely with some of our soil, the cultipress is good as it is just, leveling plates, tines and DD rings, lift the front out and the leveling plates and you will pull that easily, they do a 3m one, second hand they aren't ridiculous money.

I would agree with Archbarch...

Spring tines mate.... you woukld find a good second hand spring tine around and  these sometimes have rollers and levvelling boards....

What about trailed?

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/shaunvandenbos/category%208-cultivation%20equipment/S4011/S4011a.jpg

That kind of thing.

or:

http://www.cousinsofemneth.co.uk/body_packa-rollas.html

Or send Blake to poland on the 6420s??

http://www.farmingmachines.co.uk/machinery/M08360

Seriously though, I would say that 4100 ponds amy be a lot but you could pick up a springtine like the first one for a few hundred.....

Agree with Jez there as well - no need for great expense. Tines or a Dutch harrow - ideal.

Some pictures from 3 years ago Ricky. I'll just show you the ones I have where we went in on the rough sod.

Likin the look of this,

Spring tines leveling board and crumbler roller or packer sound like what i'm after, now anyone got a 3m one that'll sell for sweetie money?  ;D ;D