Tim's work

turbo22

We are mostly a happy bunch. Job advert last year said must have a sense of hummer. Don't know if that was to laugh at us or with us. Planting this way ain't my choice as have to go through with a power ridgier yet. Not enough money in it to warrant new kit so we keep plodding on the same.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great pics Tim, there is no need to pull beds up/ de clod on silts and fenland, the job has to be kept simple unfortunately some (expert) reckons you get better skin finnish if tates are grown on sandy soil with irrigation, they didnt stop to think about the cost of destoning, irrigating now the packers, supermarkets and merchants prefer tates grown in sand full of flint!!!!!

The UK is one of a few places in the world that pulls up beds for spuds.De-stoners are a some what new thing to NZ,there are still heaps of growers that just power harrow and plant.

I recall the day a Grimme salesman came in and tryed to sell my boss a de-stoner,boss told him the cost of doing it that way like the English do would leave zero profit and we'd keep on with the the rotoryhoe thank you very much.

De-stoners move to many stones into rows on some land around here and they never seem to spread out again.

great pictures Tim, there is no need to pull beds up/ de clod on silts and fenland, the job has to be kept simple unfortunately some (expert) reckons you get better skin finnish if tates are grown on sandy soil with irrigation, they didnt stop to think about the cost of destoning, irrigating now the packers, supermarkets and merchants prefer tates grown in sand full of flint!!!!!

Is that the reason there are sheds local that are full of imported spuds then :(

We irrigate when we can, but not always possible. In the past we have had adjacent fields 1 irrigated 1 not. Might of been luck but you had a job to tell the samples apart.

As for cost, that field was getting 4 passes(2 with each challenger) before i  planted then they still have to be power ridged. I'm not a huge fan of our system, but then i don't think de-stonning/clodding is the way to go either. Not on this land anyway. In the past have seen the outcome of it in cornwall with fields like bogs or sometimes on the road after a rain. Not always the machines fault i know.

Had to get wheels changed this week so I could get on with some under sowing of grass/clover into winter wheat. Also had to put some red clover on a couple of bare fields then roll it in.

SN851125.jpg

SN851126.jpg

SN851127.jpg

SN851129.jpg

SN851131.jpg

SN851132.jpg

SN851135.jpg

i remember potato planting before all the bed formers , bed tillers , liquid fert etc. etc 

ploughed, rotavated , planted & ridged later when the tops were through !

Had to get wheels changed this week so I could get on with some under sowing of grass/clover into winter wheat. Also had to put some red clover on a couple of bare fields then roll it in.

have to ask mate as been out of the loop for a few years , why are you undersowing wheat with grass/clover?

i remember potato planting before all the bed formers , bed tillers , liquid fert etc. etc 

ploughed, rotavated , planted & ridged later when the tops were through !

have to ask mate as been out of the loop for a few years , why are you undersowing wheat with grass/clover?

We do it so as to give it a head start for winter and also it helps keep the weeds at bay in the wheat.

Lovely photos Tim, enjoyably topic this. Will the grass and clover be harvested for seed or anything after the wheat comes off?

Yer next year we will take a crop of silage off it and possably fence the field to put the cattle in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Much discussion on the CB today about a hole being dug at the back of one of our yards. So went to have a look.

SN851186.jpg

SN851188.jpg

SN851184.jpg

SN851182.jpg

SN851179.jpg

SN851174.jpg

SN851173.jpg

SN851172.jpg

SN851165.jpg

Seems we are having underfloor heating put into the education/visitor room. Not sure what you call this system but it works by circulating water underground to extract the heat from the land. 6 trench's and a lot of pipe..

Some pictures from the office wall.

SN851207.jpg

Total hours on main tractors from 08

SN851206.jpg

Total hours on main tractors from 09

SN851209.jpg

Fuel usage for the farm from April.

Thank's for that someone did tell me that today. But that was more than an hour ago :laugh:

i take it your nick name isn't mr memory then ?

but remind us not to pick you for the pub quiz ...............matter of fact don't worry about it you'd have forgotten by then  :-\ ;D ;D

Visitors room.... Mmmmm interesting  ;)8)

In a village near me there was a gang drilling a geo-thermal bore hole..... For three weeks! The job was only quoted for two or three days  :of:laugh:

Three weeks, now that's a big hole and you know what they say about big holes....

Visitors room probable makes it sound a bit posh.  But it is were we have our open days, and any school visits are based. Also poetry and art days have been held.

i take it your nick name isn't mr memory then ?

but remind us not to pick you for the pub quiz ...............matter of fact don't worry about it you'd have forgotten by then  :-\ ;D ;D

Who what were when!

What are you on about man? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Well for the last couple of weeks on and off i have been making beds for Roy to drill red beat(beat root) into, its a bit steady. We only drill about 10 or 15 acre's each week(and no that dosn`t take all week) to spread the harvest out, about 70 in total. Before we started i had to get the bed maker from another yard which i was passing with the sprayer..

SN851202-1.jpg

SN851203-1.jpg

SN851215.jpg

SN851214.jpg

SN851223.jpg

SN851230.jpg

SN851234.jpg

I bet any fellow farmers in the area had a puzzled look when they saw that combination driving around! Dinky little drill you have there, what kind of spacing do these beetroot's have then?