Wildlife in view

Leakeyvale

For weeks now I have either had a male Goldcrest "dancing" on my office windowsill or a female tapping on the window (raiding the spider webs).  I looked out this morning to see whether the nest they built last year was in use.  The nest - which is really tiny and about the size of a golf ball -  is in the top of the honeysuckle growing over an arch around my kitchen window and is directly below my office window.

Here she is as viewed from above!

post-1227-132639288928_thumb.jpg

For weeks now I have either had a male Goldcrest "dancing" on my office windowsill or a female tapping on the window (raiding the spider webs).  I looked out this morning to see whether the nest they built last year was in use.  The nest - which is really tiny and about the size of a golf ball -  is in the top of the honeysuckle growing over an arch around my kitchen window and is directly below my office window.

Here she is as viewed from above!

Sue is that not a wren?  ???

Sue is that not a wren?  ???

Yes - a Goldcrest wren - Regulus regulus as opposed to Troglodytes troglodytes which is larger.  I have both in the garden.  The "normal" wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) nests in my holly tree and its nest is about the size of a tennis ball.

A blackbirds nest in the tree in our front garden, I made sure the parents were not around before I very quickly took these pics only 10 mins ago, sadly there were four in the nest but the female took one out of the nest as it was dead, it dropped right next to me as I was cleaning the car on Sat afternoon, the only thing I could think to do was put it down the road drain, I wanted it gone so as not to atract the attention of the local cat population, I have seen a cat wander past our house with a duck of all things in its mouth, big cat mind you.

post-188-132639292528_thumb.jpg

post-188-132639292547_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, Blackbirds make such a racket when a potential threat is anywhere near the nest that it draws the attention of everything in the neighbourhood to it.  This simply confirms that indeed there must be something worth a predator looking for!

It's also the Blackbird suicide season...they fly low across roads rather than above them...!

Tell me about it, I had to slam on the brakes the other day to avoid flattening one sat in the middle of the road, flew of though.

Unfortunately, Blackbirds make such a racket when a potential threat is anywhere near the nest that it draws the attention of everything in the neighbourhood to it.  This simply confirms that indeed there must be something worth a predator looking for!

It's also the Blackbird suicide season...they fly low across roads rather than above them...!