Loading wheat

jdc

Guest Fendt pwr

Arh ok,It looks like a slow way of doing it to me.A 1000ton silo and a grain vac is very fast,you can load a B train in about 45mins.

We get paid less $ for our grain if it has been stored on a floor than if is stored in a silo.

Maybe it has been extended Ricky?

Shed are easier here Oliver, with a decent loader you can load 28t in 20minute's. We have shed's with air-floors too where you can blow air via a cooling fan through holes in ally stips in the floor through the grain to keep damp out of it and stop bug's infesting it. Not only that, when the grain is gone you have the use of a huge shed for machinery and such like.

Guest Fendt pwr

Thanks deere est,A large empty shed would be handy in the spring/summer time.I once worked on a place that had a shed like that only it was an open front job,I remeber it was a pain in the bum to clean out if the loader driver did'nt drive close to the walls.Took oli a good hour to clean up after one driver once. :)

ah whos to know where its been stored  ;) ;)

Shed looks strange, look at the rafters, there is wind bracing a few bays into the middle of the shed???? normally they are put up at the gable end to steady the structure as its being built

The shed is around 125 feet long (18' bays) by 85' span. It has bracing in two end bays and 'X' bracing in the centre bay.

Cool pictures,Do you not use silo's to hold the grain much in England?

Silos are relatively expensive, and the associated equipment too. Big shed+forklift - job done. As said elsewhere easy to fumigate etc. and can load 29 t in around 20 mins. I keep this shed for grain only, but it  is 0.75 miles from the drier so grain has to be hauled and it would be expensive to duplicate conveyors etc here.  ;)

Not really fp mainly use large grain stores store it on the floor straght after drying alot quicker and easier to store well theres not one silo down here anyone else have any in england ???

a 50 50 split down here for silos,some have ,some use the barns like you,must be down to personal preferences,a lot of the silos down here are having mobile masts put on top of them especially the bigger ones,guess it saves on masts and add a few penneys to the farmers pocket

Well thats interesting to know there are some silos about be interesting to see them i think most blokes use sheds down here as like alot of people have said doesnt take that long to load 28ton with a 2 ton bucket on the forklift got any pics sean ???

lot of farms used to have bins round my way but are gradually being superceded by sheds because of the ease factor, if the crop is dry enough it's tipped straight onto the floor of the big sheds with grooved floor ducting ,very quick & efficient no augers or conveyors  & if the shed is partitioned into two for different crops then you only need one big fan to keep the grain aired as opposed to say three bins operating three fans . the other advantage of course is ease  just 1/2 hr with a brush at the end & job done, shed cleared.

With bins you have to mess about moving augers ,latching & unlatching access panels & farting around with scavenger augers & still having to use the brush.

The combines are getting bigger & more efficient so having a tractor & trailer tipping into a auger pit for 1/2 hr is time consuming .

our climate is also a big factor here as well ,although bins are galvanised rust does appear & the grain will sweat from condensation if the bin isn't filled .

the shed can always be used for a different purpose if needed& can be seen as an investment whereas a purpose built bin is an expence to be justified & the current price of grain does not justify this. 

We have a large shed across the road from us which used to be used as a purpose built grain-strore. It used to be great in the Summer. I'd wake up at 7am to get ready for school, open the curtains and all along the road was a great queue of grain lorries and tractors and trailers waiting to tip their load in for storage......In comparison to the new development at the Docks this store was small so was forced into closing down......