How do you make 12 ton marston silage/grain trailers into 9 tonners??

Blue man

Question

12 answers to this question

With the the few I did I cut the body roughly to size with a small angle grinder then sand it up to exact size with a belt sander.

To shorten the chassis you do the cutting on the rear end of the chassis.

If I remember correctly,first you cut off the very back of the chassis giving you the part that connects the chassis to the body but cut it long enough in length to allow you to put in some small brass or steel rod up inside the chassis rail.

Then dremel cut  off the axle rod holders so you can re use these or you can make your own.

Now you cut to length your other bit off chassis to be joined to the part that connects the chassis to body.

I put in small rod in the chassis rail to join them together and glue together,I also cut a length of plasticard to cover over the joint on the inside and outside of the chassis but you dont have to do this,its all about about making the joint as strong as possible.

Now you have a shorter chassis all you need to do is glue the axle rod holders that you cut off in the right place for the wheels.

Good luck mate hope that explains it a bit,I could post up a microsoft paint drawing if your not sure on anything ;)

technically speaking once cut down to a size that i usally went for, when measured up and converted the true weight would have been a 12 tonner anyway, the origonal body was a lot bigger than 12 tons

its pretty much as jamie said above, been a long time since i did mine for sale now, but have 1 left with roll over sheet etc in the loft, and may yet do myself a silage version to if i get time

With the the few I did I cut the body roughly to size with a small angle grinder then sand it up to exact size with a belt sander.

To shorten the chassis you do the cutting on the rear end of the chassis.

If I remember correctly,first you cut off the very back of the chassis giving you the part that connects the chassis to the body but cut it long enough in length to allow you to put in some small brass or steel rod up inside the chassis rail.

Then dremel cut  off the axle rod holders so you can re use these or you can make your own.

Now you cut to length your other bit off chassis to be joined to the part that connects the chassis to body.

I put in small rod in the chassis rail to join them together and glue together,I also cut a length of plasticard to cover over the joint on the inside and outside of the chassis but you dont have to do this,its all about about making the joint as strong as possible.

Now you have a shorter chassis all you need to do is glue the axle rod holders that you cut off in the right place for the wheels.

Good luck mate hope that explains it a bit,I could post up a microsoft paint drawing if your not sure on anything ;)

Could you do that please and ill get a picture up of what ive done.I want to cut the back not the front

DSC00437.jpg

The body itself i want to cut straight down but dont know how to join the end back on

DSC00438.jpg

The chassies is changed to a one axle but im not sure where to cut to shorten it??

DSC00439.jpg

The tailboard.I hope to have it swinging and put mesh in two of the spuares.

i have one of these part done on my workbench. I have finished the body other than painting it , I am just stuck with the chassis. the one i bought had a slight warp in it so i may end up making a new chassis from plastrastruct stuff.

as for cutting the body i just used a hacksaw  :laugh: :laugh:

good start john ;)