Model horse plough

BC

When I was up in the loft today to get my school made reading lamp I stumbled on a model of a horse plough that I got as a gift from my uncle Sandy who is now 85 and actually worked horse when he worked on my grandads farm at Drumlagair Newmachar. I would not say the plough was a scale built model and I cannot even remember who made it. My mum was able to recall it was a retired blacksmith from the Foveran are of Aberdeenshire and he made and sold them in aid of church funds.

Anyone another trinket for my shed museum and I thought I would share with you ;) ;)

17072010011.jpg

17072010012.jpg

Now I know what the hammer and key was for but I haven't a clue about the other red bit :-[:-[

Anyone care to help me out on what it is ??? ???

17072010014.jpg

17072010015.jpg

Thanks John never thought of that. If the boards were clean I suppose the soil would not stick the same...but I suppose no angle grinders with wire brush attachments in those days to give them a pre work clean up ;) ;)

I think it may have been to tilt the bottom plate and share Bill to angle the furrow or to ajust the pitch and depth of the plough in the real world. Ploughs of this era tended to be of a slight design difference from one part of the country to another, also made by local blacksmiths who all had their own variant takes on design and function.

Thanks for your take on this one Tim. I'll need to ask my uncle if he had them on their plough. Being an Aberdeenshire made model by an Aberdeenshire blacksmith I need to keep my eyes peeled although such ploughs are getting thin on the ground. I must try and pop in past the Heritage Museum at Alford which is based at the old Aberdeen and Northern Mart site.

i like it Bill, i hope youre not going to shove it back in the loft??

Do you know how old it is? My uncle went through a phase of making horse drawn carts in the mid 70s, didnt interest me at the time but i find the horse drawn implements appealing now.

i like it Bill, i hope youre not going to shove it back in the loft??

Do you know how old it is? My uncle went through a phase of making horse drawn carts in the mid 70s, didnt interest me at the time but i find the horse drawn implements appealing now.

No Simon another trinket for the shed  museum at the side of the American Cub.

I really can't remember it could be 20 odd years old now...it never really appealed to me hence up to loft since well I don't throw out I just relocate ;) ;)

I would love to be able to build a model horse cart ...maybe when I retire and have more time :-\ :-\

I have a wooden horse cart, the old proper farm cart, made very well with all the chains and 'greedy boards' that slide on with brass fittings. I say it's big, you have to have one of those Beswick type large china Shire horses on the front (which I have) to compliment it in scale. It was made by a local coffin maker who made a few in his spare time out of off-cuts from the coffins. Looks realy good behind the Shire all harnessed up.

Anyway today a chap at work brought in his horse plough which he says must be around 50 years old and he made at school. Old Tom as we call him must be 62 or 63 and I must admit it looks a very well made and scaled model. Apparently his metal work teacher was an ex blacksmith.

22072010001.jpg

22072010002.jpg

22072010003.jpg

It really is a very detailed model Simon. Tom admits it has been negleted and where he lives down the Laurencekirk area he actually lives in an old house with an old smiddy alongside.

The plough lacks a piece of metal rod to hold it to the plinth which I think is (by the weight of it Maghogany but that is a guess) so in the third picture I made a temporary "holder upper"ce with two paper clips ;) ;)

Maybe it is best left the way it is with that weathered look to it ;) ;)