Mcconnel or spearhead? pros and cons

Smithy140

We are looking at a new hedgecutter and have come down to spearhead or mcconnel. There is not alot of difference in the quotes we have been given for either machine so is there anything that you peeps know about these machines that could help us decide. Any contributions welcome.

Cheers, Will

the contractor thats cuts our ditches has a spearhead think its the 504 model and he says its useless for anything other than fairly light stuff, he uses a pto powered abro-cut when things get heavier. but i'd say the McConnel is your best bet they have a great reputation 

What size machine are you looking at Will? Our contractor has had trouble with 6/6.5m machines from the 3 main manufacturers, the Spearhead was one of the worst. He has been running a Shelbourne Reynolds machine for the past season and it has been faultless short of one bolt coming loose in over 1000hrs of heavy use, he's so impressed with it that he has now bought a second one to replace his aging Orsi machine which too was more reliable than the McConnel, Bomford and Spearhead machines he's had, only difference is that this one is a telescopic machine, might be worth a look if you haven't done so already

i'd go with the mcconnel as always look at the old second hand market always see old mconnels making good money and you'll always see old mcconnels still working also so i'd stick with the mcconnel please post some pictures when it arrives !gav maybe right i have heard good things about the shelbourne trimmers

All I know is the chap I first started work for had a brand new McConnel PA93 which is now worth more than he paid for it 15 years ago! Two blokes I work for now, one has two McConnels, older models. One is a 5000 the other I am not sure. One is extendable, both are power slew. The other chap bought a brand new something or other last year, again extendable and power slew.

I see people with Spearheads and they change them quite often, people with McConnel seem to keep them for years.

Well that seems to be fairly one sided. we are looking at a 565 spearhead with joystick and all the trimmings or a mcconnel pa96 super slew with head float and XTC controls, I would much prefer a mcconnel but dad seems to be leaning towards spearhead. I don't think the head looks man enough as has been said.

We got onto Francis bugler down dorest way i think, they quoted us £13000 for a pa 96 and we were quoted £21000 for a spearhead 565 but then told the rep that and funnily enough he came down to £14000. funny that isnt it, I'm going to be using the machine the most and I'd prefer a spearhead but I can't see dad walking away from the does and spearhead rep as he is very good friends with him  :-\

We got onto Francis bugler down dorest way i think, they quoted us £13000 for a pa 96 and we were quoted £21000 for a spearhead 565 but then told the rep that and funnily enough he came down to £14000. funny that isnt it, I'm going to be using the machine the most and I'd prefer a spearhead but I can't see dad walking away from the does and spearhead rep as he is very good friends with him  :-\

that friendship may become a little strained if the spearhead trimmer reputation is anything to go by , quite a few contractors down this way have had them , most hare now back to either McConnell or Bomford machines & i think that says a lot

i think sparrowlegs has had both , why not drop him a pm, although his spearhead gives him more trouble than his old McConnel did i think

ok chaps i run a spearhead 590 excel with low pressure hyd joystick, great to use and had it for 4 seasons now, in that time ive had 2 hyd rams resealed and the direct drive gear and coupling replaced, it failed again after 60hrs but was replaced foc due to faulty parts, but then the hyd motor on the head blew its seals so had to have a new motor. to be fair the machine is 10 years old so its not been bad in my view as its a farmers machine and im using it for contracting :of  only down side is it dosnt cut grass too well but i mainly do hedges, for grass i run it in 540 eco and its better, for hedges i run 1000 shaft at 540 rpm.

i had a bomford before, it was only an old super trim, this spearhead is so much better but the bomford was 25 years old!

feel free to contact me smithy as i did drive a brand new mcconal with V4 controls last week, now that was a good machine ;)

also forgot to say this season ive been driving a flail for a local large estate, its a spearhead 650 excel same contols as mine and same age, its got a 1.5m head and heavy duty pump and motor, much stronger than my machine and boy it can really cut hedges, will take 3 years growth off in one pass at 2mph! i would swap my machine for one tomorrow :D

i did drive a 7.5m mcconell as i said it was great to operate but parts back up seams very slow so im told.

Well I think we have established that spearheads cut hedges well but fall apart and mcconnels are much better built but don't have the parts backup but if they are better built then surely you won't want the parts right? I'll take this back to dad and see what he says and if I want anymore help I'll Pm you SL. Cheers for the advice guys

bit late but there are mostly bomfords or mconnels up here, I  knew of 3 spearheads up here of which 2 have been replaced by bomfords.......................the guy nearest us that cuts the roadsides for the council has the spearhead, in the grass its fine give it rough stuff to do and the lad  that uses it breaks it.......

Well from whats been said they are ok if u keep them new, whereas mcconnels will go for donkeys years, as our current one has. Just out of interest though, why would you buy another one?

because there a good machine! as a contractor i wouldnt buy a sub standard machine, if it wasnt reliable i would loose trade! its 10 years old and going well (hope i aint cursed it now) as i said its a farmers machine im using for contracting so i guess that says it all ;)

I'm sure as a new toy, you'll get on fine with it. Like it for what it is, if you don't you'll wreck it to prove a point. If you get problems and your dealer is a good firm then you won't be any worse off. Keep an eye on it's value though, if after a couple of seasons you chaps are not getting on with it for whatever, trade it for a McConnel. Otherwise it's value will leave a big chunk of money to find. They don't hold their value quite like others out there do.