tillage- brechin thursday 7th october

andrewstanford

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I was about to take a photo of a rather nice Case IH Magnum 335 which was fitted with a host of extra lights etc and pulling a Watkins "grubber" when over walked a chap and spoke to me. It turned out to be Raymond Chapman who works for Knockothie Farms near Fyvie.

Watkins had paid for Raymond's tractor to come down from Fyvie to demonstrate their machine. I haven't seen Raymond for over a year I suppose but have know him for 25 odd years since his father in law used to do the rally circuit with his grey Fergies.

Raymond and son Lee both work at Knockothie and I don't know the total acreage but they have 2.500 acres in barley. Raymond has been there for 33 years since leaving school. A new farmer bought the farm a few years ago and previously the fleet was John Deere but he is a Case IH man so hence the switch.

Lee's tractor is a Case IH STX 535 Quadtrack and the farmers one is a FW60. I'm going to have a visit to Fyvie before long.

07102010049.jpg

07102010048.jpg

07102010062.jpg

Raymond said he pulls a 10 furrow plough with his 335 and it handles it with ease.

I attach a You Tube of father and son team in action and thenm one of Lee with his Quadtrac

Oh and the combine is a 30 foot Case IH too. Raymond was saying one day he combined 430 tons of grain this year from 8.30 in the morning to 9.30 in the evening. This beat the amount a neighbour did with his 40 foot combine who only managed around 400 tons ;) ;)

Well Mike I was there from 7.45 am until 2.45 pm and did actually manage to see it all and also have a blether with rally acquaintances and off course Mart on here ;D ;D ;D

One of my next missions must be to visit Knockothie farms in Fyvie and see the Case 335 and 535 Quadtrac in action