What do you use on the pit?

Jdeere6910

Well as the nights are drawing in I thought I would start a topic relating to silage. :P

Same as title really, what do you or your contractors use on the pit?

And what do you think is best?

Feel free to post pictures ;D:D

Round at work we have had our merlo, a JD 6920S and suton buckrake and a JCB 434S on the pit. Personally I liked the tractor best but I want to see what you think

Here's my contribution towards your thread Patrick. As previously mentioned in my own threads i've spent a few days this year in the company of local contractors Dowsons at various locations.

Whilst photographing their equipment they've used a number of different combinations on the clamp alongside some of the farmers's own machinery. For the majority of the time using a buck rake on the tractor's rear linkage. However they have also used their buck rake on the front of the biggest tractor they run, a New Holland T7050, a combination I hope to photograph next year.

DSC07241.jpg

DSC07230.jpg

DSC07179.jpg

DSC07294.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

the contractor that does ours uses a NH TM140 with loader mounted grays buckrake. contractor who uncle works for has 2 silage gangs. one uses a NH T7030 with fornt mounted buckrake. this also has supersteer to turn the buckrake which the driver says is an excellant feature. the other crew make use of a JCB 434

Is it good to work with on smaller pits?

and do you have any pictures of her? ::):P

Should be photos in my topic in Farm Talk. It's a good combination on all the pits. Some of the farmers put a tractor to roll but generally I keep up  with three trailers and a Jag 840 without too much sweat. Front links and push off on buckrake are plumbed into the loader spool block so I can use the loader joystick. Forward -down, backwards - up. Left - in, right - out. It makes it very nice to use.

its been years since i worked a clamp, ive used a Ford 6610 and buckrake and a Manitou telescopic and i can honestly say i prefer a tractor and buckrake more effort=more fun ;D

I would say with modern transmission systems on tractors a tractor buckrake would give any telehandler a run for its money ;)

i myself have only had the chance to use the tm120 (TM155 is in the picture on the pit)

but i'm to young to be on the pit so i cart with a new holland t6050 or t6070 and 14 ton trailers! ;)

I know how you feel, to be only trusted with certain jobs, although carting is still pretty good

• 3 weeks later...