Resin...

fred

Question

8 answers to this question

Resin for casting parts.  Simply what type, where from, how to do it and the cheapest?

Thanks.

Cannot answer your question directly, Fred, but I know someone who does resin castings and several members of this forum use his services.  He does not charge a fortune.  PM me and I can give you his contact details. 

Cannot answer your question directly, Fred, but I know someone who does resin castings and several members of this forum use his services.  He does not charge a fortune.  PM me and I can give you his contact details.

Thanks but I would like to do it myself largely because they are small parts/one off and I have cast white metal in the past and a skill I would like to achieve.

This company on E-bay have loads of different types of resin,I've bought stuff from them in the past,as long as you can make good moulds,casting is fairly easy,'specially if your just makeing small parts,large part's need putting in a vacuum chamber to remove any air bubbles,but if your just doing little bit's,just be gentle mixing so as not create bubbles,only tricky bit really is getting the mix ratio right as to much catalyst in the resin WILL create HEAT and it WILL SELF IGNITE,I know I used to drive a truck delivering resin etc,and have seen that quite a few times,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/500g-General-Casting-Resin-Hardener-Syringe-/230528875050?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item35ac977a2a

Regards

Joe.

I also wish to make some parts and hopefully whole tractors.  Is it best to use resin or whitemetal or does it depend on the size of the parts?  I have heard of the front axles on tractors drooping when they have been made of whitemetal but I thought a lot of Britains, etc used whitemetal for these.  I'm looking at 1/16 scale tractors so they will be quite heavy.  My preference is for metal but any advice and past experience would be most helpful.

hear mate i hae been useing this conpany for a while now but are not the best to work with i have had some delays with deliveries and rong products sent  :-\

but not saying that will happen to you ;) 

hears the link    http://www.sylmasta.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Polyurethane_Resins_14.html