Border Fine Arts Animals & Birds.

powerrabbit

I think this should cover a lot of the BFA studies in these categories. Starting with the one that I posted in the general topics, purchased from eBay at a really silly price of £3.99 plus the p&p which altogether totalled less than a ten pound note, this rather smart liver and white Springer Spaniel  which arrived today. Measuring just over 6" tall in total it is very well modelled and really looks the business. I think that it is a study that has long since been 'retired' as I saw another which may have been slightly earlier and would have come without a plynth, dating from 1979. This one is as always, signed by the artist but I can't make out the second name, first name David, second name beginning with G.

I did see one of the same study a few days ago on eBay on the 'buy it now' format with a £99.95 tag on it, if that's what it's worth then I had a real steal.

BFASpringer.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Love that springer spaniel  ;D  we have lots of cattle and a few foxes and sheep in our collection I will wait and see if Bll has got tehm before posting

Fire away and post up Patrick. I don't have any other Border Fine Art  animals other than these ones just posted and any animals which are part of tractor figurines and those are on the other topic within this board.

I have 'Starry eyed' Bill, had it with  'Kick Start' but put it away somewhere and can't find it, will have to turn ot the cupboard under the stairs and see if I can find it, it's in there somewhere amongst the junk!

• 9 months later...

When I was at the Border Fine Arts open day at Sinclairs of inverurie a couple of months ago I entered a free prize draw and got a call the week to say I had won. It was only today I got around to collecting my prize.

Its A8346 called Mud Spa and is from the James Herriot Studio collection from a few years ago. Not a figurine I would have bought for myself but never look a gift horse in the mouth as they say...even though it is pig with piglets ;D ;D ;D

ST839252.jpg

ST839248.jpg

ST839249.jpg

ST839250.jpg

ST839251.jpg

Nice peices Bill. I'm not that into animal and bird studies but saying that I will buy if they appeal to me and are cheap. Here are 3 that I aquired fairly recently from a local charity shop. The Wren and Robin are Country Artist studies, the Robin is dated 1989  and the Wren 2000. The foxes, which look a bit like wolves to me being a bit light, are by 'Leonardo' and dated 1998. The Friesian calf and rabbit I found at the village table-top sale last year, a study from a company called 'Aynley' but not signed or dated.

Wren.jpg

Robin.jpg

Foxes.jpg

CalfRabbit.jpg

Im going to go off track a little here but I thought that this may be interesting, especially to you Bill.

Found this sculpture in my local charity shop a week ago and something in me said 'buy it', so I did. Giving it a good look over I found a signature inscibed on it of  'C Masson'. This sculpture I am pretty sure is titled 'Black Panther On Rock'  and doing a Google search of the name found out that the sculpter was a Clovis Edmond Basson, born in Paris in 1838, lived there all his life until his death in 1913 and studied under a very prominent French sculpter who's main passion was big cats. Clovis' early works were in plaster and other media and later in his life his works were cast in bronze. This particular sculpture is, or seems to be, produced from either black slate, marble or bassalt, I'm not sure, it certainly is not made of ceramic/clay as it's too heavy at over 3lb 9 ounces. I have to do more research on it. I won't hold my breath but it could be quite a find!

BlackPanther.jpg

Yes Mark...now I wonder who would like that one as a Christmas present :-\ :-\

It reminds me of someone......... ;D

TT has the annual Society Piece going back to when digital watches were thought to be cool. Also has every otter sculpture ever.  :)

Im going to go off track a little here but I thought that this may be interesting, especially to you Bill.

Found this sculpture in my local charity shop a week ago and something in me said 'buy it', so I did. Giving it a good look over I found a signature inscibed on it of  'C Masson'. This sculpture I am pretty sure is titled 'Black Panther On Rock'  and doing a Google search of the name found out that the sculpter was a Clovis Edmond Basson, born in Paris in 1838, lived there all his life until his death in 1913 and studied under a very prominent French sculpter who's main passion was big cats. Clovis' early works were in plaster and other media and later in his life his works were cast in bronze. This particular sculpture is, or seems to be, produced from either black slate, marble or bassalt, I'm not sure, it certainly is not made of ceramic/clay as it's too heavy at over 3lb 9 ounces. I have to do more research on it. I won't hold my breath but it could be quite a find!

BlackPanther.jpg

Nice looking find Tim.

It reminds me of someone......... ;D

TT has the annual Society Piece going back to when digital watches were thought to be cool. Also has every otter sculpture ever.  :)

I probably have the annual membership figurines going back for around 10 years or so and I have one called Water Babies which include two otters. I didn't know TT liked otters as well as birds etc.

Archived