Lambing live 2011

JoshParkinson

Sadly, as with the case of Countryfile, a lot of these type of programmes are only 'play' farming and bears no relation to the business side of things and orientated more towards the tourist industry and the people who like to 'dream' the country life but find out the hard way if they do get involved that the 'lifestyle' is not all roses around the door and as idyllic as the 'experts' would have them believe.

Thought it was good, half the people in the school didn't have a clue what it was though, they thought it was a boring science program so decided not to watch it  :-\

its the same at my school people don't have a clue about farming and don't want to learn much about it all they see is a few fields by the road with cows or sheep or whatever and don't think about it other than 'oh they're cute those little lambs' and there is a negative image about farming due to all the bad press 

Watched it last night and again really enjoyed it, love the factuality of it and the explanations the presenters give. Almost makes me see Kate Humble in a better light than when she does these lovey dovey animal shows  ;D

I doubt ithe "farmers are rich and have it good with all the grants"* types ever watch, although I hope some do.  If they don't it is a pity because they think that farming is a cushy job where you drive around in a large 4x4 all day and put your feet up every night.  They never realise that looking after livestock is a 24/7/52 job and you can be out in the cold and wet at 2 in the morning and sleeping in shifts.  These same people also think that animals just HAVE babies and need no help because it is "natural".

*"Farmers are rich and have it good with all the grants" is something I hear frequently.  One (intelligent )chap said to me "Farmers ought to work more efficiently and sell their grain on the world market and not rely on taxpayers to subsidise them."  I got cross; he had half an hour of ear-bashing from me and went off somewhat enlightened.  Fortunately we are still friends ::)

Off Soapbox.

Good program but I do wish Kate would pay a little more attention to what she is doing - one lamb last night was sucking air as she let the end of the feed bottle drop.