What work wear, to wear?

AlexMF

i'd have to disagree on the army trousers, the belt loops have all broken off and the fly zip doesn't stay up anymore, (awfully embarassing when i picked my sister up from school  :-[)

up to my eyes in revision at the moment, but hoping tomorrow or friday may be a shopping day! got a month, but need to get these boots worn in!

http://www.safetybootsuk.co.uk/sterling-ss600sm-dealer-safety-boots-with-steel-toe-caps-p-79171.html they are the boots i have, i was reluctant to buy them as i hadn't heard of sterling steel before, however they are very comfortable and saw me through last harvest, autumn and winter as well as other times when i wore them at home (including the time i walked into mcdonalds with them on and claas overalls, people must have thought i was on day release  :laugh: )

and as for work trousers i would say dickies are the best, i use them, even if they are a bit big for me  :laugh: they're quite expensive but they are worth it, i wore jeans but they never have enough pockets, get too warm in the summer, have no knee protection, and you soon go through the knees on them.

• 1 month later...

just a conclusion to this topic,

i went to machine mart and bought dickies: trousers, socks, t shirts and boots... bout £100 all in. very nice! they're comfortable and holding up thus far

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old topic I know but saves starting a like for like one.

Work boots. I always 'dealer boots' the slip on elasticated sides type boot. Had Buckler, Hoggs, Dickies and Dr Martens. They all last around a year but I wear them six days a week near enough every week. I want something different now, more support, more comfortable, lace up (maybe). Cost isn't too much of an issue as I spend so much time in work boots then the money is worth it.

Any recommendations or suggestions from those in similar fields of work. .. .. Or yards of course!!

And workwear. Always been a Dickies man there but to be honest the quality is fading fast. Poor zips in the trousers, four hole shirt buttons only stitched through two holes.. ..Bought some Scruffs work trousers a week or two ago on a whim as I needed at least one pair pretty quickly and they seem quite good but what else is out there? I may go Carhaart as what I have owned of theirs in the past has been superb and rivalled by nobody.

Has to be dickies for me, always has, always will, when I first started as a apprentice back in 200, I got a set of blue overalls for contract work for the likes of sir Robert mc alpine, Stewart Milne homes large construction firms etc, still own it to this day, started wearing steal toed boots made by karimore for £24 from sports direct, last about a year, well made, think there branded Dunlop now

stick with the dealers tris, lace ups become a chore after a while. i get about a year out of mine aswell, and at the moment i am on bucklers. if you are living in your boots 6 days a week and your feet dont hurt you may aswell stick with them mate. if it aint broke dont fix it, as the saying goes. i wear a lot of dickies work clothes, and your right, the quality is a let down on some stuff, but it aint as bad as fortress stuff. my shirts get covered in grease and usualy rip somewhere before they are worn out. but lets face it, a £12 shirt isnt exactly going to last much longer than a year. if you go down the lace-up route try some cat boots, i have a pair of them and they seem o.k.

Interesting on the boot's, Harry.

Best workwear I have ever had is Bjornklader which was company supplied to me as an employee of Agrivert. Overalls are still going now, ten years on and having been to USA and NZ with me. Forgot about the name until now, may look them up!

I find them very flat though, Chris and stood at the wood processor can be a bit heavy on the feet after a full day of it. Carharrt do some fantastic looking boots but they work out at £112 from America before postage!! TO be honest, CAT boots are my preferred leisure boots, hadn'teven thought about making them a work boot... Could be on to something there buddy.

Certain pairs of dickies boots shouldn't have been invented, bought a pair of "waterproof" steel toed boots for fencing or odd test hole jobs, step out the digger, feet end up soaked, worst thing is a paid £36 and they lasted 2 weeks before being launched in the skip, there work trousers are good as they have loads of pockets but when washed all the dirt stays in them and ruin your hwsplanthire pen,clog up your stanley knife and scratch your phone

It's annoying when that happens phone ringing, then the zip snaps, so you spend half an hour trying to open it, could have been the queen needing a 36 tonne digger for her new golf coarse in her garden and u end up missing the call, so you buy ones with buttons, end loosing all your coins because the pockets don't shut right

Tris I have trialed a pair of Jallatte Jalarcher boots. They are without doubt the best boots I have had. WADING in water and chemical all day and crude oil seems to rot most boots and normally get about 6 months out of the these are a year old and still going strong. They have got vibram soles and zipped sides with a velcro cover and they are so comfortable, first time on felt like I had worn them for months.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007HOMORO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008PD9RMG&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0AWZS23MB2KWRQVZ9D4P

Thanks for that, Rob. I will look at them with interest. While I want the support of laced boots, laces are a chore. Looking on American websites, the choice offered is immense. I forget the sites now. Carhaart have been the biggest temptation so far but I think I'd get clobbered on import tax on boots costing £120 to start with.

Didn't even think of Amazon either!

Just been reading up on Jalette, Rob. The Jalvoyager looks well suited to me, bit lower in the ankle. Certainly interesting as I have never heard of them before. I think I'll spend longer looking this time rather just popping in the local dealer or country store and buying a pair on a whim!

Just been reading up on Jalette, Rob. The Jalvoyager looks well suited to me, bit lower in the ankle. Certainly interesting as I have never heard of them before. I think I'll spend longer looking this time rather just popping in the local dealer or country store and buying a pair on a whim!

Tris they are great boots I have had the rigger boots and ankle boots and my current pair the jalarcher they are really comfortable boots. I suppose it is down to the fact that I get them at work that is how I heard of them. Boots are always a bone of contention out here as we spend so much time in them and companies now realize that PPE is important and better quality gear lasts longer.

I've always just gone down to the Dickies store in Somerset, Rob. Bought three of everything clothing wise and that's it, job done. Boots always came from wherever I was passing. Like I said earlier and as others and yourself have said, more time is spent in these working clothes so it seems silly not to spend the money on good quality gear. We don't have the choice of what we do in what weather like we do at home either, another reason to look more closely at keeping warm, dry etc.

this old chestnut! I am now (happily) in the situation where the company supplies my work wear, (with my name sewed on!) and I only have to provide footwear, currently some Nike running shoes. Working inside really makes the difference!