What work wear, to wear?

AlexMF

Sorry if this is in the wrong section  :-[!

I need some advice; for my job this summer I need some, affordable & durable steel toe ankle boots, (I've worn my previous pair of steel toes- made by grafters- out after 4 years, getting smelly, and sole is wearing thin, after i used them to put out a camp fire gone wrong..).

I need to be able to stand for 10 hours a day 6 days a week in them in saw mills and timber warehouses, (I don't want blisters or sweaty feet! leather vs fabric?), steel in the toes (falling timber) and sole (nails on the floor) would be ideal, as would some sort of shin protection, (rigger boots?). here's the catch I would need to be able to jump in the van and drive in them...

Could do with some hard wearing and comfy trousers too... kneepads, lots of pockets?

any advice appreciated... I've heard good things about Dickies, and my previous Grafter boots were both comfy and safe, but no shin protection, I could also drive in them.

Regards,

Alex.

When it comes to Saftey boots, I wouldn't look any further than Dickies. They were the first pair of boots i ever got and have had nothing else since.

Aforable to, Dickies dealer saftey boots, I get at around £40  ;) 

Hard wearing to as i've just switched to a new pair as the old pair have no tread left! running on slicks!  :of  And thats after 3-4 years of daily use..

I've always had Dickies or Bucklers safety boots but the last pair I bought were Hoggs instead and they are by far the most comfortable pair that I've ever had, there's more cushioning in the sole of them for walking round on concrete floors all day. My last pair of Dickies were giving me terribly sore feet after a day in the workshop hence the move away from them. I certainly wouldn't recommend rigger boots for that sort of work, you'll find lace up boots will give you far more ankle support than riggers or slip on dealer type boots.

I would say Dickies or Hoggs, I have a pair of non safety Big Bear ones now which are comfy, but im not sure they do them in safety?

As for trousers, Dickies and TuffStuff are the ones I would go for, and very good value as well

I would say Dickies or Hoggs, I have a pair of non safety Big Bear ones now which are comfy, but im not sure they do them in safety?

As for trousers, Dickies and TuffStuff are the ones I would go for, and very good value as well

yes they do pat  ;)  i have  a pair of big bear slip on dealer type boots in saftey  and they are nice and comfortable , well more comfortable than my previous dickies ones , abit on the expensive side though

yes they do pat  ;)  i have  a pair of big bear slip on dealer type boots in saftey  and they are nice and comfortable , well more comfortable than my previous dickies ones , abit on the expensive side though

Well I got mine on account at the local JD dealers so they wouldnt have been cheap  ::):P 

thanks a lot guys, definitely glad i asked now :)

i fancy some Dickies trousers. then  just need to find a place that sells  either big bear, hoggs, or dickies,  now so I can try them!

keep the advice coming

thanks again

i would go dickies foir the trousers alex, i get all my work stuff supplied from them,including the boots , but the trousers are rubbish so i buy th dickies ,seem to wear very well given the sort of jobs i do, dirty boxes creosote of poles kneeling down fitting stuff, i have some knee pads that fit in them to, although a bit of sponge is a cheap

scrwfix used to sell them, but any good shop like that will sell them so you should be ok finding somewhere that sells them local to you

I'm on my 2nd set bucklers after hogs and dickies and for amount walking and abuse they get bucklers do very well currently lasting the longest at 18months and just needing new insoles but rest boot is perfect still (ish)

I normally go through a pair of safety boots every 6 months or so at work due to the abuse they take being subjected to chemicals and oil and general wear and tear.

Only 3 brands have lasted longer than that:

sievi zip/ lace up boots really comfortable and loads of flex in them at the ankle but with the security of laces over rigger boots but easy to get on and off with the zip up the side.

The others are my current boots endurance defiant very similar to the sievi's have had for 12 months and going strong also have a pair at home and can drive the car in them.

Jalatte jalaska riggers boots again great boots being soft leather they break in very quickly.

Dickies.

I have had most and Dickies have been the best. Hoggs I find too clumbersome and the inners didn't last. I'd be interested to try some Bucklers next though but I have to say it would be hard to chose for me having known of the Dickies just being sooooo good! I buy Dickies workwear from the factory store near me too and it's bloody good value BUT it isn't the best made stuff if I'm honest. Overalls etc all good but the trousers are not up to it. Belt loops tear off, zips break. Cuff elastic in the jumpers doesn't last, polo shirts and buttoned shirts are all good as are socks. The boss at the wood yard swears by Strauss when it comes to workwear, I'm yet to try it but may well do when my stuff needs replacing.

P.S

Do not buy rigger boots - six days a week and up to ten hours a day? Your knees will be shot in no time. They are awful boots Alex, heavy, no support, ill fitting ....  I had them once and never again. Dickies do some rather nice steel toe wellies but sadly they split at the front in no time and the lining in mine tore out. A shame because I was really fond of them.

http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/workwear/boots-and-footwear/wellington-boots/fw13200/0/

Here is what I have:

http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/workwear/boots-and-footwear/dickies-safety-boots/fd22200/0/

hoo roo alex, ive had dickies, arco riggers ,hoggs, royal mail issue boots, ex army boots.my faves were hoggs, i currently have riggers,agree with others I dont like them on all day, hoggs simon and of course my trusty wellies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the trousers,ive  had all kinds except those snickers ones. a mate swear by his strauss gear.for me its now anything from ex army  to £4 asda best    makes no odds I wear them out in no time.