beet seed drills

Tractorman810

as part of the overall build on ash tree i am now adding beet kit to the farm, as seen in the almer salmon build, things like loader buckets ect are easy to sort, along with beet hoes, i got that brouchure, but i am struggling to find any info on seed drills that would have been arround then, looking for late 70's up to mid 80s, but i recon the early ones would suit more given the tractors running

any help gratefully recived as i cant remember what we had

ok mate, if i can find some info and a brouchure for meassurements i will get some of those off you, i can honestly say i dont ever recall seeing a beet drill on ash tree even though we grew it when i was younger ,may well have been kept on one of  the other farms mind, i only really ever went to 2, the 3rd was 20 miles away

prob 6 row tops mate, i doubt we would have had much bigger, we only did 1 or 2 fields on each farm i saw, and i guess the same on the other one to, had given up by the time i was 15 i recon, was always back at school by the time beet harvest or planting took place bar odd occasions

we can work that out mate I am sure  ;)  ... that tractor has been on that job from new... before that is was done with a Peter Standen jobbie... on a TE20... he replaced the TE20 in 1972 when he ot that little lady. The guy is a HUGE farmer who runs a lot of 200+ hp kit... but he likes to drill with that old combination  :D :D

looks like a new tractors in order to for the drill, get the wheels out nice and wide, front and rear ,mmmm what shall i do for that i wonder

The 135 was always a popular beet seeding tractor around here too.

For the wheels, I'm thinking the PAVT wheels from the UH 590 might lend themselves to being set at a wider spacing if you are going for a bigger tractor. 

i do remember the front mounted beet hoe ,did use it once or twice, was on a frame witha single hydrallic ram to lift it, front linkages were pretty rare then, so the frame was farm made to fit the 575 we used

My Dad used to use a front and rear mounted beet hoe on a David Brown 1390, they were blue hoes, like you say Sean, the front one had a single hydrolic ram to lift it, and the rear on the 3 point linkage, been searching for picture/s of one for years and still not found any :(

Would be great to find a picture so i could make a set

we can work that out mate I am sure  ;)  ... that tractor has been on that job from new... before that is was done with a Peter Standen jobbie... on a TE20... he replaced the TE20 in 1972 when he ot that little lady. The guy is a HUGE farmer who runs a lot of 200+ hp kit... but he likes to drill with that old combination  :D :D

You could be describing Harold Beer of north Devon there. He has a modern Massey fleet, yet prefers to work with his scores of old grey Fergies and Ferguson equipment.

the front hoes the same but the lift part isnt, ours was a straight up lift, not on arms as such, not sure what make the hoe was, but it was a blue one, the frame was yellow, stood out of the front by 2 ft, hoe just lifted and dropped like a lift almost