Me Hot wire Cutter Butter melter burn hot don't use/touch without thinking thing

MODELFARMER

Question

Well its what it says, sorta, a DC current is passed thru the special wire that i canny mind the name of, the wire heats to nearly red hot, depending on the thickness of plastic, the thicker the hotter the wire needs to be. see???

On top u can just make out the screw nearest the wall, i screw it and that tensions the wire, (there is a pivot point near the centre of the aluminium tube)

blimey if i had one of them i'd be cutting square bales from insulation board ,foam, & polystyrene like there was no tomorow then giving them to you lot i spect , just like marky does  ;):D :D

blimey if i had one of them i'd probaly cut me bloody hands off ;D ;D ;D ;D

2 serious questions Ricky (makes a change for me)..

1. What sort of finish do you get - does it swell the cut  ???

2. How fast is it - ie. is it quicker than a bandsaw  ???

Answer carefully please as I may/may not get one of those based on your answers - And you would'nt want Marky to waste his money would you  ???::)

Answer carefully please as I may/may not get one of those based on your answers - And you would'nt want Marky to waste his money would you  ???::)

Well its home made for a start, finish depends on temperature, higher current means plastic melts quicker, or thicker plastic can be cut like ye know, all u need to buy is the wire, i'll find out what it is called. then u need a transformer to supply a current thru it to heat it. 12v is safer!!!

slower than bandsaw but can cut sharp corners etc

If you are thinking of buying one Marky, get ready to dig deep!!

Good idea ricky, you've probably saved yourself a couple of hundred quid there!

want a small bandsaw too though but hi need to sell a ween o models, i've pumped alot money into me workshop recently need to get it out of it again.

Alathe would be nice but thats defo a while off they expensive

Been looking into a Lathe myself ricky (got a wood one already but metal is much more fun) - looks like ?300 will get you a decent one (Axminster power tools seems best place) - But i reckon you could do that again in tooling  :'( :'( :'( - I would get one tomorrow but I can't get is signed off and authorised at the moment if you know what I mean  ::) :'(

If there is a prize for most Gobbledeegook Topic Title I think our man Ricky has just claimed it!!

Bit of ingenuity here then Ricky, your that clever it is almost dangerous mate!! Great idea though. I expect to see some big bulky models hot off the wire soon with this contraption al set to go.

12v you say ricky , so a old train set transformer would do then? need to make a small one really,

Yip it should do the trick i expect, because of the resistance of the wire the longer the length of wire the more current u will need to heat it up, so the shorter u can make it the less u'll need a large tranformer.

i snatched the transformer outta a battery charger for electric R/C cars.

Been looking into a Lathe myself ricky (got a wood one already but metal is much more fun) - looks like ?300 will get you a decent one (Axminster power tools seems best place) - But i reckon you could do that again in tooling  :'( :'( :'( - I would get one tomorrow but I can't get is signed off and authorised at the moment if you know what I mean  ::) :'(

Machine mart have one on offer at the min i think

If there is a prize for most Gobbledeegook Topic Title I think our man Ricky has just claimed it!!

Bit of ingenuity here then Ricky, your that clever it is almost dangerous mate!! Great idea though. I expect to see some big bulky models hot off the wire soon with this contraption al set to go.

HE HE watch this space

ps hope thats spelt right for ur sake

Marky axminster power tools shop is just down the road from me , word of warning dont go there in person because you well spend to much. less you take the wife. :D :D long way for you to go so you are safe. two floors of tools tools and tools very BIG shop:P :P :P. i have spent thousands there over the years. :'( :'( ;D ;D :D :D :D