Cooks bale sledge and grab

jsedelweiss

I have recently acquired a Cooks bale sledge and grab:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/cooks-bale-sledge-bail-grab-fit-massey-new-holland-/320702779495?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item4aab601067#ht_512wt_922

Quite happy with it really, got some pipework today and getting it to fit the fergy, does anybody know anything about these or have any pics to see if there is much missing especially the grab, as cannot find anything on it. It looks like it is a vertical 6 bale stacker (3 x 2 ).

Thanks!

You're quite right, it is a 2 x 3 stacking sledge and grab and they do work well. A family friend used one of them for years and may even still have it laying in the nettles. The picture isn't clear enough to tell if anything is missing off either though I'm afraid

One of the early ones being a 3x2 version , we used to have one before we went cooks flat 8's .they also did a purpose built 3 caged sided trailer for carting the bales back , I have the original sales brouchures for this stuff as I plan to make the sledge  for my mf 65 and 703 baler and the grab for my 35x loader sometime , flat 8 has already been done for ash tree

You're quite right, it is a 2 x 3 stacking sledge and grab and they do work well. A family friend used one of them for years and may even still have it laying in the nettles. The picture isn't clear enough to tell if anything is missing off either though I'm afraid

Will try and get some better pics tonight as only just got it.

One of the early ones being a 3x2 version , we used to have one before we went cooks flat 8's .they also did a purpose built 3 caged sided trailer for carting the bales back , I have the original sales brouchures for this stuff as I plan to make the sledge  for my mf 65 and 703 baler and the grab for my 35x loader sometime , flat 8 has already been done for ash tree

Would be very interested in seeing those brouchures if you would be able to scan them!

Did you buy these from beeston , on wednesday ? I only ask as there was a set there & they arnt that common or was the ones on ebay the set you got ?

wasnt there an article in classic tractor a while back something to do with these i think  :-\

I can't help you with the grab as its a different type to one our friend had, his would pick up the 6 bales endways and not crossways however I think you are correct that there may be a spring missing from the sledge, it looks like that bar should hold the first bale at the front of the sledge to me only letting it slide back once the second is in contact with it. Its about 15 years since I last saw this set up in operation so struggling to remember how it works

well i have never seen that version of the grab either,although its in the brouchure.  just the one like gav mentioned, end on the stack, gripped with paddles each side .as for the sledge, gavs right, it would stack each set of two, with the top one springing that lever to allow them to the back of the sledge, the bales sliding past would reset the lever once they cleared the side

Thanks so much for the pics! Shame there isn't as much info on either as the sledge is different to mine as the wheels pull off and is a tube frame whereas the one in the brouchure is box and the wheels fold up. This must be an earlier example then possably??