Royal Cornwall Show 2011 9th, 10th and 11th of June

Massey Boy

I am going every day, and Cerin has to fit a GCSE in on Friday as well as being on his boss's stand selling top-knotch equipment and agricultural engineering services. :of

I am also going to promote Butterfly Conservation to any farmer/landowner/small-holder that will listen to me! :D

I am going every day, and Cerin has to fit a GCSE in on Friday as well as being on his boss's stand selling top-knotch equipment and agricultural engineering services. :of

I am also going to promote Butterfly Conservation to any farmer/landowner/small-holder that will listen to me! :D

Wonderful, Jo.  Don't forget even a small garden can be butterfly-friendly with the right plants or a small wild area.  I Have asked my gardener NOT to strim and mow the area at the back of the summerhouse so that nettles etc can grow unimpeded. 

My garden is not small but he keeps it rather too tidy.  It has taken me a few years to STOP him removing all the seed heads from the globe thistles as the goldfinches feed on them through the winter.

You are so right Sue - one of the best things about being involved in Conservation is that you can have a wild (untidy!) garden and not feel at all guilty. Make sure your nettle patch is in full sun, then you will attract Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock Butterflies.

I made some good contacts today - including the Cornwall FWAG (Farming & Wildlife Advisory Group) offered to host an event for us that will help and inform farmers on how to have more of the grassland butterfly species on their land.

I also listened to the 'Fishermans Friends' perform - they were excellent! :)

Most summers there are lots of Tortoiseshell and Peacock butterflies around my garden.  They are in the majority although I do get a few Red Admirals, Brimstones and  small blue butterflies too but not sure which blues they are - most likely Chalk Hill Blues but I am no expert.

Keep up the good work, Jo, as not only are butterflies beautiful and pollinators but also are part of the food chain.  Many birds are declining because of lack of habitat and that also means lack of a food supply.  What is good for butterflies is also good for other insects. 

I would have loved to have attended the show but it is a little too far for me perhaps next year!

Gosh that means I met someone famous today ... his hair looked perfect to me, in fact he looked very well indeed I thought.

The back of Cerin's head was on Spotlight yesterday ... not a hair out of place, I am pleased to report that he was keeping up the standard that we expect from our FTF men. :laugh:

He is staying the night at the showground tonight - guarding all that Krone kit (well that's what he told me!)

I forgot to report that I met 'Mr Bloom' at the show yesterday, Harry will know who he is!