great yorkshire steam & vintage rally july 2-3rd helmsley north yorkshire

convo

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a wonderful coverage of that rally David.

Thanks for remembering to photograph the name plate "Bob Murray - Speybay" on the 4/25 Nuffield NAV 637H. I knew it was an Aberdeen tractor that came from the Aberdeen University playing fields and was originally "owned and restored by Bii Chapman". I had forgotten the tractor had passed to Bob before he must have on sold it. Somewhere I have a photo of this Nuffield with Bob, me on my Nuffield DM4 and of his mate Ian Greigs replica Nuffield. I must find and scan that photo of the 3 Nuffy's.

I was impressed with some of the commercials. I have never seen a Denis 238 XUN like that before and nice to see a lovely restored Bedford CF ( LLU 825K). In addition that Rowe Hillmaster story was interesting.

On the steam engines I recognised a couple Alex Steele had taken down from Fife in Scotland.

What a wonderful coverage of that rally David.

Thanks for remembering to photograph the name plate "Bob Murray - Speybay" on the 4/25 Nuffield NAV 637H. I knew it was an Aberdeen tractor that came from the Aberdeen University playing fields and was originally "owned and restored by Bii Chapman". I had forgotten the tractor had passed to Bob before he must have on sold it. Somewhere I have a photo of this Nuffield with Bob, me on my Nuffield DM4 and of his mate Ian Greigs replica Nuffield. I must find and scan that photo of the 3 Nuffy's.

I was impressed with some of the commercials. I have never seen a Denis 238 XUN like that before and nice to see a lovely restored Bedford CF ( LLU 825K). In addition that Rowe Hillmaster story was interesting.

On the steam engines I recognised a couple Alex Steele had taken down from Fife in Scotland.

Thanks Bill, it was very enjoyable day, the grounds of Duncombe Park really are a fantastic location for a rally such as this. As soon as I saw the Nuffield 4/25 I recalled it was the same one you had enquired about that i'd seen at a local ploughing match earlier in the year, very tidy little tractor. It would be great if you could find the photo yourself on the DM4 and other two Nuffields. Again if I see this tractor at a rally or working event in the future i'll make sure I take plenty of photographs of it.

As i've mentioned before I really know next to nothing about vintage and classic commercial vehicles but absolutely love photographing them all especially if there's lots of variety as there was here, the F88 still impresses me the most along with the Rowe Hillmaster because of it's fascinating history.

Whilst this is by no means the biggest steam rally it certainly seemed to have attracted engines from all across the country. I should definitely be at Pickering this year at the beginning of August and hope to attend ( work permitting ) Driffield a week later also. :) 

David I have found the said photograph which was taken a few years ago at the Deeside Steam and Vintage rally when it was held in the town of Banchory. Its always nice to see where tractors end up when they are sold on.

SCAN0131.jpg

SCAN0130.jpg

David I have found the said photograph which was taken a few years ago at the Deeside Steam and Vintage rally when it was held in the town of Banchory. Its always nice to see where tractors end up when they are sold on.

Likewise it's wonderful to see the tractor in it's past glory alongside two other fantastic looking tractors including yours. Thanks ever so much for finding these photographs Bill and posting them up. Great stuff. :)

David i have enjoyed looking at your mint  pictures just as much as i enjoyed the weekend away ,see the only problem i have is it is hard to have a good look round when i am selling because every 5 mins as you seen people are wanting to know some thing or other and our lass has still not got the knowledge (patter) to sell things :( :( ,the only thing she does not have a problem with is looking after the ££££ ??? ??? i must have been through these pictures 10 times and still find them interesting, so thanks for your paparazzi style coverage of the event  ;) ;) ,,,,hope to see you at Pickering and maybe you can look after my stall for an hour :) :),

cheers peter

this was the only picture i got all weekend ,found it quite funny as we used to show rottweilers

post-2795-132639863421_thumb.jpg

David i have enjoyed looking at your mint  pictures just as much as i enjoyed the weekend away ,see the only problem i have is it is hard to have a good look round when i am selling because every 5 mins as you seen people are wanting to know some thing or other and our lass has still not got the knowledge (patter) to sell things :( :( ,the only thing she does not have a problem with is looking after the ££££ ??? ??? i must have been through these pictures 10 times and still find them interesting, so thanks for your paparazzi style coverage of the event  ;) ;) ,,,,hope to see you at Pickering and maybe you can look after my stall for an hour :) :) ,

cheers peter

this was the only picture i got all weekend ,found it quite funny as we used to show rottweilers

Thanks Peter for your very kind comments. It was the first time i'd covered an event like this with my recently purchased camera and i'm delighted with how the photographs have turned out, especially those of the engines leaving the arena.

I'm really looking forward to attending Pickering this year, the weather was very mixed last year and the only day I had off work I chose to go chasing combine harvesters with my old camera across the Yorkshire Wolds instead of attending the Steam Rally.

However I did go for a nosey in 2009 on the friday afternoon and posted a selection of photographs from the event here:

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,27969.0.html

This was the year everything ended in farce and coverage of the event made Youtube for all the wrong reasons. I'm really pleased new organisers and showground owners saved the event as it really is an iconic and wonderful rally with such a fantastic atmosphere.............especially post "watershed" after a few rounds of proper cider. :)

I'd more than happily look after your stall for a little while so you have the opportunity to look around and take some photographs of your own, can imagine it gets a little bit frustrating at times not being able to fully take in everything else on show whilst you're there. Thanks again Peter. :)