Grain Drying Problems

MODELFARMER

Ok here is a problem i hope someone ha solved, Wheat when wet is like concrete when allowed to settle,

In our 12Tonne batch dryer, (Allied 650b) the wheat stops flowing in the bottom cone, where 1/4 of the cone is solid panel a apposed to mesh panels, as a result this section does not dry and the rest of the grain over dries, has anyone had this and come up with a cost effective solution??

post-306-132639952455_thumb.jpg

Harvest the wheat when it's ripe and had a weeks sunshine on it perhaps?  ;)  In a more serious mode, it might be the design of the batch dryer that's the real problem. I'm not farmilliar with these so can't really offer much in the way of a solution, here in these parts we only used to store grain in barn silos which could be blown from the base with a cold air blower fan through a ducting arrangement in the base of the silo if it needed cooling a little if the moisture content was high enough to make it heat a little. Ideal storage moisture content is 18% but if the weather was a little inclement at harvest the bigger grain growers would hire in a proper gas powered mobile drier to get the moisture content right before putting it in the bin. I've still got my little moisture meter we used to use, handy little bit of kit and very accurate too.

18% ? You'll be penalised for at least 2.5% when it arrives at a store or the docks. Infact it could even get rejected if the buyer had an abundance. How do you test the meter for accuracy? I think a local electrical engineer does a few around here.

Ricky is there anything interrupting the flow inside, any paintwork, outlet auger/belt too slow? It may be that you have to put the wheat through quicker and do it a couple of times just to keep the grains moving. I don't know anything about your drier but I'm thinking about grain characteristics.

The 18% moisture content I mentioned is for on farm storage but if you're selling the grain instead of keeping it for feeding then your feed merchant or buyer would visit and do his own moisture test. Different merchants vary in what they accept in respect of moisture content depending on what they are going to use the grain for and if they are going to mill it for feed then they damp the grain down anyway. Several years ago we used to sell our surplus barley to a local mill and they would take it with a moisture content up to 22% and still pay the market price, this was advantagious with a slightly higher moisture content as the bushel weight was a greater volume than at a lower content. If you sent your grain for storage to the miller if you could not store it yourself then you would be charged and if they did have to dry it to store in their bins you would also be charged for the drying. What our miller would do was to take what you could not store yourself, and when you bought your concentrates/feed from them they would reduce the price in using your grain in it but it was always known that you might not necesserally get your own grain back in the feedstuffs. Ther system worked well and very cost effective.

Do not have any experience of these as we used to silo store and dry in that via blowers from the bottom , but I would tend to agree with tris , sounds like it's not taking it round the system quickly enough to allow it to dry properly . Wonder if your overloading it possibly which is compounding the issue ???? I know it's ment to be a 12 ton one but usally stuff works better at a slightly lower rate . The combination of a tad to much damp ( better than loosing the crop ) slow flow rate and a bit to much being forced in trying to clear the crop won't do it any good I guess

its all for animal feed, stored in a pile in the shed

dried to 15%

speed of the flow does not matter, as soon as its in it flows everywhere else on the mesh but not on this 1 secton, i might contact opico and they may be able to supply me mesh panels to pu in instead of the solid ones

I did hear of one farmer this year sending his OSR into the storage company at 17.5%!!!! I think they might have asked him to pay them more than the crop was worth to take the 8.5% out... But I agree 15% in the Store for wheat..you wouldnt usually want to combine it at more than 17% as you would bankrupt yourselves drying it.