White metal / Resin casting

JC

Question

Does anyone have experience with white metal or resin casting?

I have a few models with parts missing and I'm thinking about having a go at making some parts using one of the above processes, only trouble is I don't have the first idea about it!

The parts I want to try making are parts I haven't seen available anywhere else so if anyone can help and I'm successfull, I'll quite happily make these parts available to all members of the Forum.

6 answers to this question

I was looking to get into this just the other day, did a bit of research, resin seems a lot easier to do if you're a beginner and the materials are more easily availible, you can even get away without using moulds for somethings. I have been put off though, having made a few moulds in the past for aluminium, I found it to be a lot of work, it takes a while espically with very small parts to get the runners and risers right.

I haven't used  latex moulding techniques,but  if you have the part you want replicate and it is fairly simple they seem a very quick way of casting. With white metal, I think there are cetain types, some for bog standard casting (which must contain lead) and some for centrifugal (which don't have to), be prepared to put up with a few fumes!

Guest nigel

i to am looking into resin moulds but although i have an idia about some casing im in the dark trying to get my head around cab moulds

how can you get a good mould of a cab it must be hard?

the cabs i want to replicate(for my own pleasure obiously) are square-secura cab used on john deere 3050 -ertl i could then do a ih 684 to a ford 7610 AP cab to a 1212 david brown

what do you think? please email me if you have any tips at pythontounge@aol.com

curantly tring to make a DB 1290 let you know how i get on

All,

I am experienced in both whitemetal and resin casting and if anyone wants specific advice I'd be happy to help.  Please email me on NigelLawton009@fsmail.net.  I am a supplier of hobby scale resin casting materials and can advise on where to obtain hobby scale whitemetal casting materials.

Regards

Nigel Lawton

Hi nigel and welcome to the forum

got loads of questions to ask as i have just aquired some sinthetic rubber

and red resin (or is that the other way around)

im tired going to bed now bo##o#s to it

anyways i hope you are on around 4-5 oclock

i hope you enjoy your stay at the looney bin  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D