Deere-est's Bits n Bobs

Deere-est

Question

Well here is what I was up to over the weekend, with a sheet of 0.8mm ply and some square dowl you can do endless little bits and bobs for your farm yard. Here are a few disposably type pallets, the sort you see down the builders merchants.

Here is what you need 3mm dowel not shown. A measuring tape, a straight edge, a craft knife and of course the madatory 0.8mm ply for the pallet planks. I cut them 4mm wide.

Use two planks to glue the dowel at the required distance, making sure it is square with one plant at either end. Then work your way from one end to the other, my spacings are a shade under 2mm.

• Answers 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Brilliant Tris... in fact wheely good  :D :D - Now I never thought to make one long length and then split them up - I was making them all individually - what a plonker....

Top job that one mate - and thanks for the tip (again  ::)) - I'll have to start paying you royalties at this rate  :D :D :D

ANOTHER fine example of how pooling our knowledge base benefits other members on FTF - Andy you should charge an entrance fee to join here  ;)

What's next from Tris's World of fine woodcraft  ???

Now, my sliding door.

Again 0.8mm ply cut into strips of 4mm in width. With 0.8mm styrene kick plate and top cap. Bracing on the rear is made from the ply too. The rail is 0.8mm styrene in two strips with a small square cut and glued in between the strips, one either end.

To fix the door to the rail I used staples. Before gluing the top cap on the door exterior cut two small verticle notches inbetween the 1st and 2nd planks and again between the 5th and 6th planks. Do the same into the top bracing on the door interior. Take a staple and cut and bend to shape to fit into the notch on the exterior, over one of the slide rails and into the notch in the interior. Glue the styrene strip on the top of the door (exterior) and add a little glue to the staples on the interior and press with your finger tip.

I've detailed the door with angle pieces for padlock latches and guides fixed to the Scaloox and the MDF board. Simply creosote to colour and treat.

Can I have a drum roll please ... . drrdrrdrrdrrdrrdrr ddddddd ddd dum!!!! Something like that anyway.

Sliding door finished and in place and excuse my smug and humble grin but I am well chuffed with this one!!!

Thanks gents, I look at some of the things on here and think it's out of my depth but when you can get two metres of the dowel for 46p and a 3ft by 2ft sheet of 0.8 ply for a little over a fiver even I can afford a few mistakes while trying!!

looking good tris matter of fact you marky & sean are getting too good  :-\

WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH I hate you all WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

*says i ,running to my toybox to console myself *

:D :D :D :D :D;) ;)

Bloody hell Tris... smug grin indeed - you deserve to be very proud of that one matey - that door is the muts nuts mate and no mistaking - From the pic it looks like a 1/1 scale not a model... If you pop over mine I'll make you a coffee and even give you one of my LIMITED edition ginger nuts for special boys and girls only... Actually I hide them at the back of the filing cabinet downstairs in the warehouse office.... DOH

Well done you - another one for me to try to get my head around... - Mrs F's gonna hate you... another night in the workshop tinkering  ::)

So come on then Tris... what's next then mate  ???

Not ginger nut? I flipping love them!! It's funny you should call me special Marky, that's what my Mummy calls me too. The doctor calls me 'challenged' though, not sure I know what he means.  :-[:(

Here MJ come and have a Ginger Nut with us, your MF 2000 convos are worthy of a treat son!! ;) As for getting too good, Marky ans Sean are for sure. I think I am playing catch up but learning fast all the same.

Doc, about the wardobe doors. If they're four foot tall I'm your man!!! I'm only a squirt ya know  :D

Again, thanks for the comments Gents, whats next I'm not too sure. . But watch this space.

:) :) :) :) :)

Bit more woodwork going on for the new shed, this time a workbench. The same 0.8mm ply for the top and lower shelf, 0.8mm styrene for the three braces and the panel on the top. Legs are same as the pallet struts but I forget the size. .

Oh, the panel on the top is for metal work, all the styrene bits will be painted grey.

post-227-132638525199_thumb.jpg