Animal Conversions (New pictures added 27 AUGUST 2009)

The Jersey's, Ayrshires and Belted Galloways are terrific, mind you, the rest are damn good as well, all you need now is a bit of copper wire to make nose rings for the bulls. Ever thought of doing a market diorama creating a pen and auctioneer? I reckon that would look smart.  8)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're amazing, Scott - I had no idea what you were going to do with them, but I am so impressed. Will send you some more just as soon as I get the chance :)

Thanks Mandy

I enjoy painting them I find it quite therapeutic. The Jersey's turned out quite well and also the Ayrshires :D.

Yeah you don't want an unexpected visit from the guys at the B.C.M.S. and D.E.F.R.A. turning up and wanting to read all the cattle ear tags  Not a pleasant experience  >:(  All livestock need to be double tagged these days. D.E.F.R.A. translates into Department  Erradicating Farming (and) Rural Activity    :'(

Yeah you don't want an unexpected visit from the guys at the B.C.M.S. and D.E.F.R.A. turning up and wanting to read all the cattle ear tags  Not a pleasant experience  >:(  All livestock need to be double tagged these days. D.E.F.R.A. translates into Department  Erradicating Farming (and) Rural Activity    :'(

Tell me about it. We're currently in the process of trying to get the herd sorted for these new durable tags that can't tear or come out....do you use them? ??? Nice paint jobs aswell Scott, well done-Belted Galloways would be my favourite, but they are all great. :)

Any ideas for eartags ???

Thanks for the comments FW

Depending on what sort of tags you were to do. If you give them metal tags, which would be in keeping with their era of production, all you would need to do would be to just have a very thin brush and just paint a very small 'stripe of brassy gold or silver paint on their ears to 'represent' a tag. Or if you were to go for the plastic type of tag for the later plastic cows lets say, just paint a small triangle in yellow? on the inside of the ear to represent the tag and a small round dot on the outside of the ear to represent the other part of the tag. Obviously the size would be too small to actually put letters and numbers on but I recon this would look ok, if it looked crap you could always paint it out or wipe it before the paint's dry. Worth experimenting I would say.

What sort of paint do you use Scott ??? I've been using acrylic on my plastic items, but whatever you use gives an excellent finish. :)

Don't know about ear tags - had to buy a new box for our sheep this year because the Defra keep changing the goal posts >:(

Ought to tag those DEFRA buggers, wonder if they would like being tagged several times. Me thinks they would cry 'human rights', what about the poor sodding animals?  ???

What sort of paint do you use Scott ??? I've been using acrylic on my plastic items, but whatever you use gives an excellent finish. :)

Don't know about ear tags - had to buy a new box for our sheep this year because the Defra keep changing the goal posts >:(

I know what you mean, we now ergently need a now cattle crush after our last expection. What sheep have you got btw?...Guessing they're pets. ::);):)

Well here is my secret  :D :D :D

I first paint with an acrylic white primer (the one I use I got from a craft store and is designed for painting on most surfaces) Then I just use regular acrylic paints, and when finished I seal them with good old regular white PVA (I have diluted it down with a titch of water to make it easier to paint on. Then I just use clear nail varnish for the hooves, eyes and muzzle :)

I have tried this method on the NEW britains but the surface is very slick and it doesn't seem to work as well  :-\

Forgot to mention that with the Jersey before I sealed them I used the drybrushing method for the lighter cream shade. This is achieved using a short course bristle brush, dipped in the paint then rubbed off onto  scrap of paper, then rubbed onto the animal in the desired areas. Let the paint dry then if needed add another coat and gradually build up the layers until the right effect is achieved.  ;):)

I know what you mean, we now ergently need a now cattle crush after our last expection. What sheep have you got btw?...Guessing they're pets. ::);):)

I hate sheep! Always have, always will. I say that the best place to keep  sheep is in the deep-freeze, sods can't get out of there! We call them grass-maggots down here.  ;)

When I was at Agricultural College years ago we were told to read a certain book from their library on sheep husbandry. The text started with this question. "How long should you keep a breeding ewe?

The answer was, "At least 2 days after it dies". Summed it up really, the rest of the book was a waste of time.

I quite like sheep - although I agree that they are difficult to keep. But they're a lot smaller for me to handle than cattle and having had my flock for about 12 years now, we know them quite well and have weeded out the problem ones. And they do taste nice  ;)

An angry over protective cow was always good fun to deal with when tagging new born calves. I recall a cow who was known as psychcow because for 10 or 14 day after she calved she went mental and chased anything that moved near her calf. That would have been a good one to get all these pencil pushing jobsworths to come and tag, just to see how dangerous it can be  >:(  Hand them the taggers and tell them this one in left ear and the other in the right ear, and say " I hope your BUPA health care plan is all paid up to date "  ;D

An angry over protective cow was always good fun to deal with when tagging new born calves. I recall a cow who was known as psychcow because for 10 or 14 day after she calved she went mental and chased anything that moved near her calf. That would have been a good one to get all these pencil pushing jobsworths to come and tag, just to see how dangerous it can be  >:(   Hand them the taggers and tell them this one in left ear and the other in the right ear, and say " I hope your BUPA health care plan is all paid up to date "  ;D

You say about kicking cows, years ago when I was just a lad we had an old very cranky cow that would try and kick your head off when you went to put the cluster on to milk her so what my father would do was to put a heavy tow chain around her kicking leg ankle and tighten the other end around a post so that she could not kick. Over a period of time, she got so used to having the chain put around her leg that when she came in to be milked she used to lift her leg for you to put the chain on.