Grassmen and there tractors

Light Land

Have been watching the stunning grassmen videos of late and was abit suprised there was'nt 100's of jcb fastrac's carting silage.

As we all know the jcb's were realy made for doing on/off road trailer work.Are fastrac's not popular in Ireland? is there a reason other than the contractors just like what they like for that?

Thanks for any help.

I think with the contractors around us the fastrac hasn't taken off as they aren't quite as adaptable as a normal tractor. Most contractors in our area do a lot of field work which the fastrac isn't always good for. It's a good question though Ol

Have been watching the stunning grassmen videos of late and was abit suprised there was'nt 100's of jcb fastrac's carting silage.

As we all know the jcb's were realy made for doing on/off road trailer work.Are fastrac's not popular in Ireland? is there a reason other than the contractors just like what they like for that?

Thanks for any help.

I think with the contractors around us the fastrac hasn't taken off as they aren't quite as adaptable as a normal tractor. Most contractors in our area do a lot of field work which the fastrac isn't always good for. It's a good question though Ol

Olly im glad you like the grassmen DVD shows how us boys in NI work with grass ha ha! Fastrac never turned out to be popular as us guy over here dont have the yards feilds for Fastracs as they have a bigger turning base that a normal tractors.

Cheers pat,what are the jcb's like price wise there by you?

My boss has 3 of them all de mount sprayer work only though.

I wouldn't know price wise Ol, but I'd be wary bying one second hand as a lot of them have been thrashed a lot. They are fanstastic spraying machines I hear

Pretty sure in 'Its In The Blood' theres a quick shot of a Fastrac? That's the Farmers tho, Its one of Farmers grass that we do and she's in bits at the mo too I Think!

But apart from that one, I've never seen another Fastrac Drawing Grass!

There was a fastrac drawing and mowing beside me last year. She wasn't long mowing a field with a 10ft mower and you should have heard the note out of her when she was under pressure pulling up the hill with a full load (she had a chrome straight pipe) ;)

Fastracs's never realy took off here as well Bob.If trucks were'nt the main means of moving silage here we have seen more of them.

MB-trac's ever seen in Ireland? they'd be getting in years now mind.I was shocked at the number of German farmers that just tidy old MB-tracs and give them a new life and keep them working while I was over there.

Blake,Bob are the grassmen at the maize much?in the films it looked like grass silage was the norm?

The problem with JCB Fastrac's is that, they are sh#t. ;D . They struggle to stay alive on polite little East Anglia farms, let alone rough ol Irish contractors!

Best stay honest and hit the nail on it's head shall we! ::)

Edited by Niels

The problem with JCB Fastrac's is that, they are sh#t. ;D . They struggle to stay alive on polite little East Anglia farms, let alone rough ol Irish contractors!

I can't agree with you there, the early ones weren't the best but for the last 5 years or so they have been a lot better, our neighbour who has somewhere around 1000 acres of potatoes doesn't have a conventional tractor on the farm anymore. He runs a fleet of at least 7 Fastracs, possibly more as I've only ever seen 7 of them in one field at once when potato planting. The steering lock is a lot better on the later ones as are the gearboxes and from what the blokes say they are no more unreliable than any other tractor these days. If the steering lock was still as bad as people make out he certainly wouldn't be able to use them for potato harvesting or destoning with standard size field headlands. These tractors are doing 24 hour shifts at some times of the year and stand up to it well.

ever drove one niel?,i have to agree with gav,the new ones are a lot better,we go to a farm who has a new 2170,he swears by it and does a lot of field work with it,very smooth ride,that i can vouch for

Fastracs's never realy took off here as well Bob.If trucks were'nt the main means of moving silage here we have seen more of them.

MB-trac's ever seen in Ireland? they'd be getting in years now mind.I was shocked at the number of German farmers that just tidy old MB-tracs and give them a new life and keep them working while I was over there.

Blake,Bob are the grassmen at the maize much?in the films it looked like grass silage was the norm?

Grass Silage is by far the Norm around here yes. There is a bit of maize about, become more popular the last lot of years, but with our climate and Ground conditions its hit and miss with it. It'll either be a good crop or a bad one! 2, 3 even 4 cuts of grass silage is the main bulk of the crop ;)

Grassmen haven't filmed any Maize that I know off, yet anyway. But usually its a Nightmare! Getting stuck everywhere! ;D

Were these farmers MB-trac users before the fastracs came along Gav?

They were all John Deere before I believe, the last one only went in the previous couple of years. Another local farm was an MB Trac farm befor they went JCB, they buy for the dealer not the product though usually.

The perkins engined fastracs were not the best but certainly all of the 3000 series have been bloomin good tractors and I know a lot of people who have them for fert spreading, carting, rolling etc as a secondary tractor who swear by them for those jobs but they all say they wouldnt want to use one for heavy field work although I think most people are fairly well aware of the what the fastrac is most suited to.

Hi olly if you go onto youtube and type in moover you will see alot of vids that he has took.

guys over here in NI are a we bit backwards when it comes to Fastracs

Ive only ever drove one Fastrac around a yard it was a 155-65 by god that thing took some space to turn or maybe it was my bad driving ha ha! but do really like Fastracs

i think the cabs are great i think i could spend a lot of hours in there so much room

as gays say on here Fastrac are no better or worse that a normal i would say it has a lot to do with the driver i say the 1000s facstracs would be good with that 4ws and you do see a lot with sparyers on them

I wouldnt mind one ha ha! so if theres any guys out there that owns a Fastrac and dose not like them pass them on my way.

They were all John Deere before I believe, the last one only went in the previous couple of years. Another local farm was an MB Trac farm befor they went JCB, they buy for the dealer not the product though usually.

Thanks Gav.

The perkins engined fastracs were not the best but certainly all of the 3000 series have been bloomin good tractors and I know a lot of people who have them for fert spreading, carting, rolling etc as a secondary tractor who swear by them for those jobs but they all say they wouldnt want to use one for heavy field work although I think most people are fairly well aware of the what the fastrac is most suited to.

Well said.

Grass Silage is by far the Norm around here yes. There is a bit of maize about, become more popular the last lot of years, but with our climate and Ground conditions its hit and miss with it. It'll either be a good crop or a bad one! 2, 3 even 4 cuts of grass silage is the main bulk of the crop ;) Grassmen haven't filmed any Maize that I know off, yet anyway. But usually its a Nightmare! Getting stuck everywhere! ;D

I was shocked to see a truck carting silage in one of the films,I would think that only comes out on sunny days for farms with big yards.

• 3 weeks later...

there is a contractor near me that does round/square baling, slurry, muck, spraying you get the picture...and he also does alot of septic tanks now he always ran MB-Tracs until about 2004 when he bought his first fastrac, since then the MB-Tracs have gone into retirement and he has now got 4 fastracs, from the oldest (61 plate) which is a 2170 too the newest (12 plate) which is a 7230/7250? And he swears by them, he even ploughs with a 5 furrow plough behind the 2170, so they must be doing something right!

• 2 weeks later...

unless you travel a large distance hauling on the road a fasttrac has no advantage over a 40k or 50k tractor, i was behind a fastrac one day in the village, i was in the 6930 doing 44k, he dissapeared in front of me i thought nothing of it, 5 miles later outside the town i pulled right up behind him at the junction, he had gained nothing once he hit a little traffic,

now most hauling here at most would be a 10-20minute trip, with stops in yards to unload/load or fields etc, so at the end of the day would a fastrac gain even one more load in the day? unlikely

• 4 weeks later...

well i remember the boss telling me that we had a load of our tractors carting which id say is a 40 mile round trip and they hired in a rival contractor with a few 185 fastracs and leaving the field they flew away but the last like 8-9 mile is climbing up back roads to the farm and the tractors behind were catching up and one or 2 even over took with jd7810's so there wasnt realy any advantage there except the smoother ride :/ and we did have a brand new one on demo last yr and used it on a tank 3190 :/ i think it was and she was quite a tank to get into the gateways around here where youd quite happliy get most tractors around the size in :/

but i was told after that fastrac left us she went to another contractor who decided to put butterflys on , while mowing she kicked up a stone and put it through thee back and front windscreen :/ he soon decided he wouldnt put one on a mower again, he said it wass due to the cab being further foward than the 7530 and if it had happend with her it would have clipped the bonnet instead he thought :/

but i dunno swings and round abouuts really isnt it :)