Oakley Estate Farms

I sure can, at the moment its exactly the same as last year but currently looking at other options as some of the fleet reach 5 years old. From the top down we have

Challenger MT875E

Challenger MT865C

John Deere 6210r black

John Deere 6210r green

John Deere 6830

John Deere 6830

We have had a Massey 7624 on Demo and currently have a Fendt 828 with us for a week.

• Like 1

Some pics of the hedgetrimmer set up with the McConnel PA6500T on John Webbs 6210r and Phil leaving the yard this morning on the 865C and new TopDown 700 and Mark in the background with the front flail topper on ready to destroy cover crops at Eames Mill for spreading and cultivations next week. post-2769-0-76564000-1423144342_thumb.jp post-2769-0-05471100-1423144424_thumb.jp post-2769-0-42847500-1423144471_thumb.jp post-2769-0-81012500-1423144524_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I started off making them myself but now i go through Pete Hardy known as convo on here, he has a website 132 farming models, very good at decals and stickers, i wouldn't go anywhere else, huge selection and often custom make to your own requirements, couldn't ask for more.

Generally yes, the John Deeres have been tractors we have bought outright since our Newholland 8360's 78 & 8340's, the TM's and TS-A's were leased so changed every year. We average 1000hrs a year per tractor so when they get up around 4-5000 hrs reliability is an issue so we rather spend money on new than expensive repair bills, also helps us to keep up with modern tech.

Leaping deere dealer will be hacked off at you having other demos about the traps after pulling the pin on 2 of there own. I'm pretty sure if you don't buy the demo after having it for a bit you pay for the hours you put on it here, same there is it? 

We have had quite a few demos in the past and not being charged a penny, including Massey, Claas and Deutz, its in the interest of the dealer to try and sell you the product in my opinon. Our local John Deere dealer has lost the plot recently and we need to keep them on their toes, we are a potential huge customer and have up until now put a lot of business their way with Grimme, John Deere, Jcb, Bailey Trailers and Vaderstad. Its a stand off between myself and the rep currently but lets see what package they can come up with.

• Like 2

We like the Fendts very much but don't like the price tag, one good thing with the Deere dealers was the discount they used to offer just to get our business. Fendts prices are up and to get a new Deere with everything we want they aren't far off. We will probably wait until Autumn or early next year, when we have a major breakdown i will then kick myself, swear a lot and empty the contents of my toolbox out my pram whilst wishing id changed in earlier!

• Like 1

Deeres certainly have risen in price, seemed to be since the excellent "10" series earned them a huge respect that the prices have steadily gone up to premium tractor prices, in the 1920- 1930s Harry Ferguson always tried his utmost to supply a superb product but keep it affordable, unfortunately David Brown had emphasised to him that their Ferguson Brown tractor was too cheap and thus a small profit margin wasn't enough so they parted ways. It certainly takes significantly more to build tractors now of course and even if you think about battery and tyre prices and servicing items you see how quickly things add up, here where I'm from at a time was all MF, but as time went by I started to see more Fendt, JD, etc becoming part of the landscape, something like the troublesome dynashift urged farmers to seek out a more reliable product, the tractor that turned it around for MF and in many ways saved them was the 6290. If Oakley is considering replacing then I'd like to urge them to go along to a SAME, DEUTZ FAHR open night and have a chat with the salesman, I believe everything works in"eras" and they all have there days of glory and for me Same- Deutz Fahr are now in their true moment of glory with a superb product and mad keen to introduce there machinery to non SDF territory thus tempting the neighbours.

• Like 2

We like the Fendts very much but don't like the price tag, one good thing with the Deere dealers was the discount they used to offer just to get our business. Fendts prices are up and to get a new Deere with everything we want they aren't far off. We will probably wait until Autumn or early next year, when we have a major breakdown i will then kick myself, swear a lot and empty the contents of my toolbox out my pram whilst wishing id changed in earlier!

Though that can always happen, even on a new Fendt? I can tell you enough horror story's and I am sure every make will be having them. 5.000 hours plus minus isn't exactly record breaking. Often you see farms where the older work horses actually do better than the newer one. I agree with you on the Fendt and JD debate. I have recently seen some Fendt, MF, JD and NH prices and it was shocking how much the red, green-yellow and blue machines have gone up in price, now matching Fendt. They have risen as well but not as much.

However, from a price and reliability point of view, on a farm your size I might have a different approach. Have 1-2 luxery work horses that are used for important jobs and driven by full time employees. Then get 2-3-4-5 simple work horses. 150 hp, gearsticks/semi-PS, no gizmo's just to do their thing. The way you are kitted out they won't need to do any 'proper' work other than carting and the odd bits and bobs. Problem is finding a suitable work horse that ticks all boxes I think? Deutz-Fahr did the X710 but that wasn't much liked I believe.

Have I gone completely lost the plot? Maybe makes such as Kubota can find a market in this sector. You see JD doing the same with their M range basic spec tractors as well.

• Like 1

Not much of a technical approach but to add to Brian's point from an aesthetic point of view SDF and in particular the Deutz are some of the best looking machines on the market. Also with Kubota planning more and more horsepower to me they stand out as making the most sense for investment price wise and with their simplicity

I know round me Fendts are never owned by people just leased, contract hired etc, often this has a lot to do with image as if a contractor turns up with 5 Fendts then it looks good! They are very nice tractors to drive but the capital tied up in them is silly! A friend of ours bought a 724 over a JD 6210r and regret it due to the amount of money tied up in it. JD's are still a key leader in the market often due to there lack of change in the basic functions etc, but around here it's mainly people who have always had them still run them apart from the exception.

At the other end of the scale New Hollands are everywhere around here due to a very good salesman and loyalty to the dealer but they all have their problems and most get changed every 2-3 years as they are past there best due to being driven hard and 24/7. They're are getting more and more Case tractors in the area as they are a lot cheaper than a NH (5-6000 in some cases) however NH will always have a big presence! Masseys are here and there mainly people who have always run them still do and this is very common in my area.

I think Claas and Valtra will push a lot more sales and even Deutz due to a new dealership not far away. And in my opinion if we we're to change from JD then Deutz or valtra would be our first to choose from due to solid reliability! On the Deutz front Prince Charles farm in Tetbury run 2 with 11,000+ ours on the clock and still work hard every day!

Sorry to waffle on but I thought I would share my views and it all depends on dealers and what package your after!

• Like 1

In my local area john deeres seem to be dominant but NH case and massey are also quite popular, with my next door neighbour having traded in his sames for new Hollands. Deutz and Claas are starting to eat into the sales of everything and a good friend who contracts has switched from an all deere fleet to a completely Claas fleet.

Hugh

Edited by Jd6320driver

im not getting into a colour war,i only drive part time,as long as the tyres are good,has a cd/radio and a comfy seat and air conditioning then im happy,but i disagree with what has been said about the fendts,well at least where i work they tend to hang on to them a bit longer than 5000 hours,but there has never been any major breakdowns on them,and the vario transmision has not packed up on any of my bosses gear,he does run a new holland,2013 plate and has had  nothing but problems with it,going back to the dealers five times!,but you could go to another farm and they might be the reverse of this,mind you,he has now got 2 fendt 724's, one brand new and one demo machine with 1000 hours on it,hurry up the spring

• Like 1

Well certainly sparked an interesting debate here. Valid points made all round. It think whatever the colour, new or old they all have there problems. We like to change around 5000 hrs/5 yrs to keep up with modern tech and before things get worn out, which they all will start showing signs of age no matter what colour and how well looked after, also better prices for second hand to re invest in new than waiting until its dead on its feet in poor condition. We have boxes to tick, growing spuds we find a CVT invaluable with ever changing soil conditions 0.1 of a kph makes all the difference, so cheap bog standard gearboxes are out of the question. 50kph and air brakes are a must along with comfortable and quiet cab, front linkage, enough hp to handle 18t trailers, reliability and a great dealer backup are a must. At the monent the latest MF has come on leaps and bounds, Fendt offer everything but local salesman is an *******, prefer the JD cab. Going to try a Claas and NH, Deutz im afraid don't offer a good dealer backup but butch the salesman is top notch. Time will tale.

I know round me Fendts are never owned by people just leased, contract hired etc, often this has a lot to do with image as if a contractor turns up with 5 Fendts then it looks good!

With all due respect I find this a pretty silly statement (no matter who says it). If you lease a tractor it is in your books therefore you own it. Stacking up the figures in most cases rental or lease works out better. Rather than shouting I OWN a tractor I would focus on what costs me per hour.

@Alex: Fair enough, spoiled drivers you have ;). And @Paul I reckon these tests will be done behind closed curtains ;D

A side line question: What do people find a normal price per hour for a tractor? Over here it used to be €10 (£9) per hour. If you could swap your tractor for a new one and stick to the 10 Euro rule you'd generally did a good job. However, with price increases in recent years, it has gone more towards €15-20/hr! Making it uneconomical to change every 3 tot 5 years.

To add a little to the Fendt debate, two farming friends of mine recently purchased new tractors. The first compared a JD 6170R to a Fendt 720 spec for spec. The Deere was €17k cheaper. He then looked at resale values of a 7530 compared to a Fendt 820. This was €20k, therefore deciding to tie up his capital in the Fendt. Friend number two specced up a new Fendt 724 S4 and NH T7.270 BP. The price difference being €12K! I was flabbergasted. Bought the Fendt, somewhat needless to say.

Edited by Niels

I d think a lot will depend on the tractor  dealership who is it , where is it  from the farm , what deals can be done  , we have MF ,NH & JD all with in 10miles of us  - so they tend to do well  then Case & Valtra/ Cat   bit away   ,

Claas sell well on combines but on the tractor front onl;y 2 to be seen here the rest don't get a look in

An old boss is running JDs nowadays  & he says he trades in early & tends to get a good better price  traded  2 x JD 7530 up to the newer 6210r